Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing older babies

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 9:43 AM
  • 4 Replies
Hello...I was just wondering what positions and techniques you've all used for your older babies. Mine is 8 months but over 20 pounds...she's always been a little acrobat, playing with her feet, twisting, etc, when she nurses. Since we came home from the hospital I've almost always nursed her on a pillow on my lap because if I just try to cradle hold her she ends up making it uncomfortable for both of us with her moving. With the pillow I can sort of let her get comfy without breaking my back. But she's getting too big for her pillow...now her legs dangle off...plus it's kind of weird bringing a silly bed pillow with us to go out everywhere. She doesn't take a bottle so pumping for outings isn't an option. She will nurse laying down but who has a bed for nursing when they're at a mall or restaurant! Just wondering how others have managed to comfortably nursed, especially outside of home, with bigger, bouncing babies. I'm planning on nursing till at least 18 months, so we'll have to get creative!
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 9:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 5, 2007 at 9:45 AM
I used to use a pillow, and stopped at about the point you're at now. He started sitting up on my lap at that point, too.
CyndiG
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 9:54 AM
I just try to sit in a chair with an arm where I can rest my arm. We don't nip too often any longer because she is almost 13 months, and really only nurses for comfort during the day. But at 8 months I would just make sure and find a private spot because they like to move around alot.

Just remember, everyone seems normal until you get to know them!!

Anvela
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 10:01 AM

i put my arm under his head and just let his body rest freely in my lap. he is almost 8 months and 21 lbs also . as for the squirming.... when we're in public i just keep my free hand with a loose grip on my shirt by where his mouth is. that way if he pops off :o) i can just hold the shirt in place. now when we're at home, it's a whole other story...... its his for the taking! :o)

~Angela~

Lilypie Breastfeeding PicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

KaleysMama
by on Aug. 5, 2007 at 10:06 AM
Have her sit up and straddle your leg, that worked for a friend of mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN