Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

When baby sleeps through the night, do i need to pump?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM
  • 16 Replies
Just wondering because I love to get my rest and now that Lincoln sleeps through the night do I need to pump or is it okay not too???

Lilypie Baby Ticker
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 1:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
josefeene18
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I'm not sure how old your baby is, but mine started sleeping through the night around 2 months.  I didn't pump at night.  But I would wake up with huge leaky breasts!  But after about a week they started to regulate.  My thoughts were that if they baby is sleeping all night, why should I get up and lose sleep to pump?  I needed all the sleep I could get.  But if your supply is normally on the low side, it might not be a bad idea to pump. 

akamom1908
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 1:41 PM
I was told by a lactation consult to pump at mimimum every 4 hours at night. This will reduce engorement,dimishing milk etc. I have tried to ignore that and sleep through the night with my little who is also sleeping through the night one with  out nursing or pumping and worke up VERY engorged and in pain. My breast were HUGE and hard as rocks. So from my expreience I don't advise it. Try to pump or nurse at least once through out the night...this will save you alot of pain the following morning.
Mothergoods
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:11 PM

You can go both ways....If you babe is sleeping through the night, pumping would keep your supply up and give you some bm for storage....But if you dont  want to , you milk will balance out to what your child is NOW demanding.  The fullness and leakyness wont last long, a few nights without pumping/nursing and your body will get the drift.

Want to turn heads at the next baby shower you attend by giving the gift of a handcrafted sling?  If so, visit my website @ www.freewebs.com/mothergoods Mention cafe mom and get hooked up!  :)

Check out my group Hippie Crunchy Mamas  http://www.cafemom.com/group/hippiemamas 

Have you ever dreamed of owning a VW bus, did you grow up in one, or if you just like them stop by my group  http://www.cafemom.com/group/vwbusgroup

ctflute
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:15 PM
I say get some rest!  Unless like some other posts here you have unbearable pain in the morning, I heartily recommend you get some nice uninterrupted sleep.  I know nursing and pumping are important to keep up your supply but you need to be rested to make milk too!

Sleep mama, sleep.  One day your son will start waking at night again (most likely anyway) and you will regret that you didn't take the chance for some zzz's when you could.
Omayra_M
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:19 PM
my daughter slept through the night at 2 months. I just ignored the engorgements and slept and my milk supply was adjusted to her needs. I agree that if the pain is overbearing you should pump though.

stacie_chad
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:19 PM
just wanted to mention that people might take bm to mean bowel movement which is what it means in healthcare!  Dont want an extra supply of that! JK  : )
lilqt7844
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:23 PM
I didnt pump at night with either of my kids. My 2 year old start sleeping thru the night at 6 weeks and I never woke up to pump, and my milk supply was fine and so was he, and my baby boy is 12 weeks now and he has been sleeping thur the night since he was 5 weeks and I dont wake him up nor do I pump, and I still have plenty of milk and he has more than doubled his birth weight so he is fine too.
Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
Lincolnsmommy
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:33 PM

well some nights he wakes up halfway through the night to nurse but other nights he'll sleep up till 5 or 6am so i take advantage of that. but I'm thinking I should wake up halfway through the night to pump and save. it always comes in handy. I also take fenugreek to keep my milk supply up and he seems very satisfied with just breastfeeding. Sometimes I will wake up in the morning engorged and hurting so i go pick him up and feed him, but then he won't go back to sleep and I regret that., so that's when i should just pump instead andlet him sleep.

Lilypie Baby Ticker
Sara820
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM
If he is sleeping through the night, and that is his schedule you shouldn't need to pump.  My daughter slept through the night at 5 weeks.  At first, I got up to pump, but after a while my body got used to her schedule, and it wasn't neccessary to pump.  Good Luck, LOL Sara
themothership
by on Aug. 6, 2007 at 2:43 PM
I have been breastfeeding my son for 5 months, and he sleeps at least 5-6 hours at night almost every night. I wake up a little engorged, but after he nurses in the morning, I just pump out whatever is left.  That comes in handy now because he is on cereal and food, and I use the extra from overnight to mix with his cereal. I had a hard time getting started with BF so I was really nervous when he started sleeping through (at 5 weeks) but here we are months later and we're both doing fine!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN