Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Are both breasts the same size?

Posted by   + Show Post

My right breast is significantly larger than the left.  During the first month of breastfeeding, I got a Mystitis infection in my left breast and since then the breast is smaller. Does any one share the same problem?

by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 1:06 PM
Replies (11-11):
MommySophia
by on Mar. 25, 2007 at 10:55 PM
As "gdiamante" said in an early post, none of us are symetrical. Just as our faces are different on either side, or you may notice when you pluck or wax that it hurts more on the right or the left.  I too have noticed that my left breast was always bigger, yet my right, smaller breast was more sensative. Since my milk came in, my left breast is even more pronouncedly bigger and seems to over produce. I nurse Erynne on one side for 15 min, then switch her to other side and let her finish. Next feeding, I start her on the one she ended because she usually stays latched on much shorter. I don't think there's any way to "even them out." Thankfully, the size of a woman's breast does not affect milk production. When I worked as a nurse on the Maternity floor, I had Moms who were barely A's bf just as well as Moms with large, pendoulous breasts. So in answer to your question, no, they aren't the same size, and its totally normal!  I don't think your Mastitis would affect your breast size, though you may want to double check with your OB, but as long as you are hearing your baby swallow, she should be getting milk, and as she suckles, it stimulates your brain for you to keep producing milk in that breast. Hope this helps answer your question.

~Sophia
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)