Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dropping BF for a month-can it be done?

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:15 AM
  • 12 Replies
I have a close friend who I met in lamaze class and we had our sons a day apart.  We have both been BFing fulltime.  Last night I spoke with her and she said she had some bad news.  She's got some killer sinus allergies and they are so bad that she has to go on a round of steriod treatments for a month to help her out.  This means that she cannot BF her son.  She says that she is hoping to be able to pick it back up after she is done with her treatments.  Do you gals have any tips for how she can do this successfully??  We both don't know much about formula and I would like to have the best possible info for her if she needs my help.  She attends LLL meeting every now and again (better than me-I'm unfortunately just too busy or tired to do so) so I'm sure with that support she will be able to do it if she is diligent (which she is!).  But I know it's going to be hard for her so I just wanna have some good info for her so she knows she has my support as well.  TIA!

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarah6690
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:22 AM
I really don't know whether it can be done or not.  But if it can, I would say she needs to pump as often as the baby would normally nurse.  And then try to get him/her back on the breast when she can.  Just wanted to wish her luck, I hope it works.
momandstepmom
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:26 AM
she could pump and dump during the month so that her supply stays up. 
lekreck
by Member on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:32 AM
that's what I told her and she can do it bc she's a SAHM so she can pump till her nipples fall off LOL  j/k but I know that pumping doesn't stimulate the same production as it does with nursing so I'm hoping it will keep for a month. 

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker

zacashemily
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:44 AM

I agree pump and dump seems to be the only solution, but she should be prepared that he son will not want to nurse again since he will find the nipple on the bottle much easier to use and after a month it may be hard to get him back to nursing right away. I have no idea how to reintroduce the boob back to him if he refuses, but she can easily switch him to having BM in the bottle if nothing else.

Also I would suggest one thing, after she talks to her doctor about what formula to start him on she should introduce the formula before the BM is cut off. It will not only make the transition to a bottle much easier, but it will make his little tummy much happier. Then she will want to do the same when BM is coming back into his diet. Take away the staple food a little at a time so that his tummy tolerates it better.

Be sure she talks to his pediatrician about what formula to use. There are so many out there! :)

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie Baby Ticker

Lilypie Baby Ticker

jencain
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 9:46 AM
I agree, she should pump as often as she can.  But one other thing, i have NEVER heard of taking steroids for a month?

jeannie

mama_l
by Bronze Member on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:01 AM
It can be done and is done by many.  I think relactating has about a 75% success rate.  Here are some sites with some great info to help with relactating. 

http://www.artofbreastfeeding.com/relact.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html
http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/html/Relactation.shtml

Also in the forums at mothering.com there is one spot just for relactating moms.

"I've never been able to find out precisely what feminism is: I only know that people call me a feminist whenever I express sentiments that differentiate me from a doormat. "
RebeccaWest, 1913
kclare23
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I'm a working mother but I try to nurse my son as much as possible but I had to supplement because I went thru my frozen supply so fast.

What I did to transition my son to formula and hopefully your friend can do the same before she takes  the med.. I  pumped between feeding after feedings to get out as much milk as I could so I could freeze it. I like the plastic tubes medela makes I think they are better than bags and just wrote the date on them. So I use the ephamil lipil and I would mix my milk with like 2 ounces of formula so he could get use to the taste and it wouldn't be such a shock to him to go to straight formula. After a week or so he started taking the formula by itself. I know this helps because most babies that go straight from bm to formula can get colic or constipated so I feel better having to give him formula like that..

Also if you friend comtinue pumping she'll be fine.. It won't be easy because her supply will go down with just pumping.. but she'll be able to build it up again. When she done, since she's a stay at home, she need to have a all day stay in bed or home nursing marathon and her milk should come back in time by over stimulation... Well, good luck and hope this helps.. 

Oh one more thing make sure if she uses bottles to use slow flow nipple if she goes to a fast flow the baby may not want to latch on after that...

luckymommy24
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:20 AM

Definitely pump & dump!!  The dumping part is so sad for a mom because that is precious liquid gold!  And even though pumping doesn't necessarily generate the same amounts as a baby nursing, it will still keep her supply there and when baby can start nursing again she should have no problems.

Good luck to her!

kayleesmommy23
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:25 AM
There is a bottle called the Haberman which may help the baby transition back to the breast easier. There are 3 flow levels on the nipple, at the smallest notch the baby has to suck really hard to get the milk and each notch is easier, so they can find the level that works best for them. the nipple is also longer so it is more like the breast. My 4 yr old sister wouldnt take anything but the breast, and she took the haberman when she needed to. if your friend wanted to get it she may have to talk to a Dr. to find out how to get the bottle, I think that is how my mom got hers. I wish her the best of luck.
ChazznRoccosmom
by on Aug. 15, 2007 at 10:40 AM
She can try the pump and dump method, but no guarantee. She'll need to get a good one, like those Medela dual electricals. I went on a five day vacation without my son when he was seven months old. I still pumped, but by the time I got back, my supply had dwindled significantly. I had problems keeping it up after that, but I did manage to make it until he was fourteen months, with the help of taking some meds to help keep up my supply. I wish her the best though, hope it works.Just pump, pump, pump!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN