Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

got milk?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM
  • 6 Replies
so ever since my little girl was born i havent made enough milk and have had to give her formula as well as breast milk. now that she is growing (very fast) i am not making any more milk than before and im afraid i  wount be able to breast feed her much longer, does andone have any suggestions on a way i might be able to produce more milk, even if its not enough to completely feed her... anything to help me make more! thanks
by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
GracieCarlymom
by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:42 PM
You can try taking an herb called Fenugreek.  I took it for several months with my first baby.  It helped some.   Check with your doctor first though!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

shelibeli
by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:55 PM
I was concerned before I had my baby about production because I have implants, and a lactation consultant told me to pump right after breastfeeding the baby to boost producton, I guess it fools your body into thinking your baby is eating more at each feeding. I never really ended up having to do this, but it makes sense, and should help! The general breastfeeding rule is the more they eat, the more you make!
Carole38
by on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:56 PM
Just curious what makes you believe that you were not making enough milk?  Maybe you really weren't - but maybe you were.  I say that because for the first 3 months, I was convinced that I didn't have enough milk to satisfy my son.  I was wrong - misreading his signals and buying into what everyone was saying to me.  Anyway - to increase your milk production you have to increase the demand on your breasts - whether that is by breastfeeding your daughter more frequently or by pumping.  Fenugreek works well and I've heard that Mothers Milk Tea works well also.  Some people take both.  Formula fed babies tend to gain weight faster than breastfed babies.  This is because breastfed babies nurse until they are satisfied, and if they want to continue to comfort-suck, they can do so without getting additional milk.  Also, our breasts (somehow) produce exactly the right type of milk that our baby needs at each specific stage - protein and fat ratios change as our babies needs change.  Formula is always the same and comes in a bottle - that means that we feed them until the bottle is empty, even if they didn't need that much.  And comfort-sucking just leads to more milk from a bottle. 
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 16, 2007 at 4:58 PM
I would slowly decrease the formula feedings and replace them with nursing.  You probably did make enough milk, you just didn't know it.  This is one of the number reasons people give up so quickly, because they are worried that they did not produce enough milk.
isacade
by on Aug. 17, 2007 at 3:07 AM
I have a 6-month old and she's still breastfeeding. I've always had more than enough milk. I've been taking an herbal supplement called Go-Lacta. It's all natural. I checked with my doctor and she said it's ok. It works for me! Good Luck!
Katiesmommy07
by on Aug. 17, 2007 at 3:22 AM
The first 3 months i was breastfeeding i was convinced that i wasnt making enough milk and that my daughter was always hungry because of that.  i gave her a few bottles because of that, but my husband was very supportive and encouraged me to keep at it.  eventually once we got eachother figured out my supply met her demand and i started to feel that she was satisfied.  part of it was being a new mommy and always worrying that she was hungry but once i calmed down and just trusted that i could feed her i felt much better.  i dont know how old your baby is, but maybe this could be happening to you to?  ive never used them, but the supplaments mentioned above are suposed to work really well and ive also tried pumping before or after a feeding to help boost production.  Good luck!  feel free to message me anytime if you need to talk.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)