Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help...Got Milk?

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:05 AM
  • 13 Replies
My 6 week old girl never took to my breast...so, for 6 weeks now, I have been pumping multiple times a day, everyday. It really is a bit daunting...but worth it. However, as we become more active, trying to get things done, I have let to much time go between pumpings. My production has gone down dramaticlly. On top of it, I am one of the few lucky moms who started the period from HELL, and only 6 weeks after having her. I am told that that can contribute to poor production. Does anyone know how to build up my production again? I have even tried staying home for three days straight and pumping every hour. It helped a little bit, but not enough. I have had to start supplimenting formula in between breastmilk. It sucks, I am even a little bit depressed over it.
Suggestions?
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Benjamins_Mommy
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM
Have you tried contacting a lactation consultant for suggestions?
ked3333
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:19 AM
We go to a breastfeeding clinic ever Thursday. They suggest a really expensive suppliment that I can take. If I have to I will, but money is somewhat tight right now. I lost my husband to cancer last Sept and now only have the one income.
jolenekeona
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 12:23 AM
there are some herbal things you can take...it helps! and some teas! msg me if your interested!:)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:03 AM

It isn't too late to try to get your daughter on the breast. I know how frustrating it is when they won't take it...my son refused to nurse for the first two weeks of his life.

If you can. offer the breast first. Express a little milk and leave it there. You might also look into a supplemental nursing system for giving the expressed milk when you're home.

Also...oatmeal for breakfast, daily. 1000 mg fenugreek, washed down with a cup of Mother's Milk Tea, three times a day. 64 ounces of water a day.

Check out drjaygordon.com for great info on relactation. It is NOWHERE near too late to still breastfeed if you want.

vivalamanda0883
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:41 AM
I've been nursing my daughter with Medela Nipple Sheilds for 9 months.  I started using them because I have flat nipples so she couldn't get a good latch.  I tried weaning her off of them at one point but it was a battle, so I decided to keep going and we haven't had any problems with them.
If you can't get her to latch now, you might have good luck with those.

~Manda
CHARLOTTESMOM
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 1:14 PM
I had a decreased supply problem too. It was caused by the meds I am taking. What helped me was to increase fluids- I drink 2 boxes of Capri suns a day, and pumping between feedings. I have no problem now. It might help you if you try it.
DRRich2007
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Quoting gdiamante:
If you can. offer the breast first. Express a little milk and leave it there. You might also look into a supplemental nursing system for giving the expressed milk when you're home.

Also...oatmeal for breakfast, daily. 1000 mg fenugreek, washed down with a cup of Mother's Milk Tea, three times a day. 64 ounces of water a day.
Here, here!  I've gone through relactating and can attest that EVERYTHING GDIAMANTE suggested seems to work together to boost milk production.  I also took a few other supplements and pumped on a regular basis.
lovesturtles
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 4:42 PM
I induced lactation to establish a supply for my daughter who was carried by a surrogate.  I've taken domperidone (can be expensive) and many herbs including:  blessed thistle, fenugreek, marshmallow root, and alfalfa.  And probably a few more I can't recall right now.  I also ate oatmeal everyday (it really had a great impact).  The marshmallow root had more of an effect for me than the fenugreek did.  I got all of my herbs at my local grocery store.  They have an herbal section.  Good luck.
tReS_LujAn
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 5:58 PM
I just recently started taking the Fenugreek tablets and drinking the Mother's milk tea... I drink 4 32oz jugs of water a day and I've seen a huge increase in my supply... I have enough milk to nurse my son AND pump for storage!!
katiemarie1234
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 7:25 PM
You can also take reglan to help with production. Its not nearly as expensive as the domperidone.  They say that there can be a lot of side effects with it but I haven't had any. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)