Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HOW TO WEAN

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM
  • 105 Replies
3 moms liked this

Yes, another sticky for another popular subject.

It's really simple. No big production. The second you introduce solids, you've started the process. How long it takes depends onb which fork you choose in the road.

EASIEST METHOD: Do absolutely nothing. Baby will do it on his/her own. Time frame to weaning: anywhere from a month to a couple of years, depending on the baby.

NEXT EASIEST: Don't offer, don't refuse. What it says on the tin. Mom doesn't offer to nurse, but doesn't say no either. This is best instituted at the one year mark when solids become the primary nutrition....the solids will take over. Time frame to weaning: As much as a year.

NEXT EASIEST: Drop one feeding per week till gone. Start with the LEAST desired feeding. Distract and delay nursing sessions until that feeding is dropped. Then move on to the next one. Replace with formula if baby isunder a year. Replace however you like if baby is over a year. Time frame for weaning: As many weeks as baby nurses in a day.

HARDEST: Cold turkey. Only do this if you REALLY REALLY need to (as in going for chemotherapy) because it can lead to mastitis and generally DOES lead to a lot of misery and discomfort for mom and baby. It is what it says. Don't nurse. Cabbage leaves in your bra; change them when they stink. Sage tea or sage pills...go to the health food store. STAY AWAY FROM SUDAFED....not a good thing to take meds you don't need.

by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cali4niachef
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 3:48 PM

When DS#1 and I weaned I used the "don't offer but don't refuse" method but not all the time. It took us 5mos, I wanted to do it gently and slowly. We weaned at 26mos, I started the weaning process because I shattered my elbow and was scared my VERY active toddler would kick it while nursing. A few times he did.

This time around I'm planning on letting DS#2 self-wean.

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

clovismommy25
by on Feb. 17, 2009 at 9:22 PM

my first suddening weaned himself at fourteen months. I still can not firgure out why. I hadn't cahnged anything.  I am now EBF again, my second. And will again plan to let him wean when he is ready, up to age three ( i know kinda contradicting). Forcing a baby to wean makes me sad for them, but I understand that sometimes mom is just done.

I am a 20 year old, former teen mommy with two children(ages 3 and 1.5 months),married to the father of both my children,high school graduate, exclusively breastfeeding, co-sleeping,vaccinating,circumcising, thumb sucking encouraging,disposable diaper using, lets my kids trash the house, then picks it up for them, going to public school, doesn't force church but believes in God, goes to bed angry, listen to heavy metal and country, reads constantly, plays world of war craft with my husband, pro-life, republican, stay at home mommy!!

NewTurtleMom
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:15 AM

I'm in the middle of the hardest method right now (about 26 hours since I last pumped).  I was dropping one feeding per week until I got Mastitis.  I tried to bear with it for a week but it is unbearable.  My doctor told me stopping cold turkey is my best option b/c I keep getting Mastitis from weaning slowly.

This is my first baby so this is probably old news.  My boobs are hard as rocks and look totally fake.  It is annoying but I'm not in much pain...yet.

charity987
by Member on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:35 AM

Thank you for this sticky! I just came looking for info about this & found it right away! :) I was going to let him self-wean, but he's showing no signs of giving it up anytime soon & I just found out that I'm pregnant with #2. I REALLY want a break in between. I have no intentions of nursing 2 at once. He'll be 18 months in a few weeks & that was my goal.

cali4niachef
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 11:10 AM

Quoting NewTurtleMom:

I'm in the middle of the hardest method right now (about 26 hours since I last pumped).  I was dropping one feeding per week until I got Mastitis.  I tried to bear with it for a week but it is unbearable.  My doctor told me stopping cold turkey is my best option b/c I keep getting Mastitis from weaning slowly.

This is my first baby so this is probably old news.  My boobs are hard as rocks and look totally fake.  It is annoying but I'm not in much pain...yet.

Going cold turkey is MUCH more likely to develop mastitis. Pump just till relief. Are you using cabbage leaves or sage tea?

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Midwife-to-be, working on LLL Leader Accreditation, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!

mrsderekjeter
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 3:53 PM

I just used dont offer dont refuse  for my 22 month old :*****(

tyrelsmom
by on Feb. 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM

I plan to use the don't offer, don't refuse method starting at a year, and dropping one feeding a week starting at 2 if the baby hasn't self weaned yet.  I might change my mind and allow longer, but I actually don't really like breastfeeding that much, so even pushing it that long is a stretch for me.

We're hoping for a girl!!!

muensters_ma
by on Feb. 20, 2009 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Thanks for this sticky. My daughter is almost a year and I'm planning on weaning shortly after her birthday. I made my goal and I'm just done. Its exhausting. I'm already kinda using the don't offer/don't refuse but she's still nursing like crazy so I'm going to start cutting out some feedings every week. Nighttime is going to be the hardest :( She still wakes up over half a dozen times throughout the night to nurse...  

relate
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 12:45 AM

My trick is I place bandages on my nipples and I say for my child mommy has a bubu.

by me it worked wonders.

puddinhead515
by on Feb. 23, 2009 at 4:22 AM

I'm glad you posted this! I've been thinking a lot lately on when (and how) I want to wean my little guy, who is my 2nd. I know I do NOT want to do it cold turkey. My 1st was weaned cold turkey and that was a terrible experience. My doctor pressured me into it because I had to go on a steroid for migraines I couldn't get rid of and he said the meds would be fatal to my baby through my milk. I debated it for another day, but couldn't take it any longer because I couldn't care for her while I was in that much pain. So, I remember nursing her one more time before her nap, and then didn't let her have it again, which was heart-wrenching for a few days. My poor baby. =( She was 17 months old. And talk about painful! And I got VERY SICK. I had already had mastitis twice, and was on the verge of it again when finally I guess my milk started to dry up, so I didn't have to go on meds for mastitis a 3rd time, but I felt like I had the flu. (I didn't know about caggabe leaves or sage tea or any of that stuff back then, a few years ago.)

Now, Daniel is 16 months, and I know he'll nurse until at least 18 months, but I'm undecided on weaning him and how. Some days I think I'll let him go to 2 years, or self wean, whichever comes first, and other days I think I'm getting awfully tired of all his "twiddling" and other tricks he does while nursing... either way, thanks for the post, because now I know an appropriate way to wean since I never did it with the other one. I already don't offer it anymore, but he still asks OFTEN, day and night. So, if I can't wait for him to self wean, I'll have to cut out a feeding each week.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)