Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Weaning Tips......

Posted by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 10:19 PM
  • 7 Replies
My son is 12 months old and it's time for me to take my body back!!! Kiss

He drinks from a sippy cup and hasn't really been bottle-fed much, so I don't want to start him on a bottle since he is already 1, but he is not very fond of the whole milk just yet.  It almost seems like he knew it was time to wean, 2 weeks before his 1st birthday, he started this thing where he will climb into my lap and "assume the position" and whine until I pulled my boob out.  He has been doing that a lot more now, and when he does I try to give him the whole milk in his cup, he'll take a few sips and push the cup away.  Please, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 10:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
veg4animals2006
by on Mar. 28, 2007 at 11:10 PM
How much solid food is he eating and how often is he wanting to breastfeed?
Seems like it's a comfort thing. Maybe holding him would suffice.
Maybe try to distract him with something else (not milk) like some carrotts or juice?
Or maybe it's just not time. I know you want your body back, but babies do their own thing.
My son has really taken to solid foods, and around lunch refuses to BF- He'll only eat solids and he's only seven months old! It's just different for every baby.

I hope you find some good tips to help you.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 29, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Don't offer don't refuse is usually the easiest on both of you.

Distract, offer other foods, and expect to take a couple of months to achieve weaning.
LVINGOD
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 1:19 PM
I do think it is a comfort thing for him more than any.  He nurses quite often, and I made the mistake of getting him accustom to nursing when it is time to  put him down for a nap, so whenever he gets sleepy, he wants to nurse.  He is not eating solid foods too well (he doesn't eat much of it), so I guess I will have to just wait it out.  I will do the don't offer don't refuse method, and try to offer him the cup when he seems to want to nurse.  Thanks for the replies
imekcmom
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 2:37 PM
i'm going through a similar thing with my now 2 year old son... i've been trying to wean him since his 1st birthday!  we'll get close and then something new comes up that sets us back again.  it is really frustrating b/c i also "want my body back".  for him it is definitely a comfort thing!  i find the most success with teaching him the word 'cuddle'.  i can get him to climb in my lap and cuddle instead of nurse and that can sometimes be enough to satisfy his need.

good luck!!  if you find anymore tricks, let me know please!
Lsmom
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 3:25 PM
My daughter is 13.5 months and we went through the same thing.  I have got her weaned during the day now.,....she just breastfeeds for nap and bedtime.  Which , I am not sure how we are going to wean from those.....but thats another issue.  I switched my daughters sippy.....she doesnt like the spouted ones, and loves to drink whole milk out of the sippys that have the flip straws,,,,,I guess she feels big, so that is worth a try.....just go really slow, it seems to be working for me that way. Hope this helps
sara-gruntlings
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 4:39 PM
Try pumping milk and getting him used to drinking your milk in a cup. Then slowly add whole milk and wean him off gradually?
tysonyo
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM
I wanted to eliminate the after-nap-session, and to do so, I gave a snack instead. Took about a week of her whining, then she got in the routine of having a snack instead. So I'd try distraction-led weaning(snack being the distraction) Worked for the one I wanted to stop.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)