Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping/Return to Work Question

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
I have recently returned to work, and I am pumping during the day.  I'm just curious about how much milk on average should I be able to pump throughout the day.  I usually pump in the morning when I'm nursing (about 5oz), and then again during work (another 5oz).  My MIL brings my little girl in to my work so I can nurse as well. 
My little girl will be 3 months tomorrow.  Am I pumping enough?  Is 10oz sounding about right?  She is sleeping through the night now, and has cut out at least one if not two feedings.  She gets expressed bmilk at daycare and grandma's house while I work. So, when I think about it she's getting about 5-6 feedings during the day.  Her nighttime feeding is usually much longer, as it needs to tide her overnight.
So, a little help for the neurotic first time mommy.  I worry about everything.  I'm just thinking I should have more than 90oz of frozen bmilk right now.  Please help ladies.  Any advice from lactation consultants out there would be WONDERFUL.
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
simi
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 1:01 PM
10 oz sounds like more than average output to me.
BoodleBear
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 1:51 PM
I'm worried its not enough.  That could also be because I hate, HATE being away from my baby.  I don't think anyone can take care of her as well as I do. 
Any other thoughts from anyone about the pumping output?
riotgrrl
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 1:58 PM
90 oz sounds like a really good stash to me. It sounds like you are doing just fine. If you do want to increase your output for the pump, here are a couple tips you can try to get more out with the pump:

Make sure you are very well hydrated. Drink water before and during pumping.

Look at a picture of your baby while you are pumping.

Alternatively, shut your eyes and imagine that your are nursing your baby while pumping.
Beledi_belle
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM
I make between 10 and 12 oz a day for my baby, and that's without anyone bringing her in to work for a feeding for me. So it sounds to me like you are making plenty. I wouldn't worry. Keep an eye on her diapers to make sure she is eating enough and she should be fine.
amberntony
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:05 PM
as long as your baby is gaining weight like they should be you are doing fantastic.  they eat when they are hungry and as long as their is a stash of milk for her to eat when she's hungry just relax.  i work 12 hour shifts and pumped until my son was one and I would usually bring home about 20 ounces, without having him to eat, like you have.  As long as it is enough to gain a little supply don't worry about the numbers!
pixidrizzl
by on Aug. 24, 2007 at 2:08 PM

I went back to work almost 4 weeks ago and Isabelle is just over 3 months old and she takes breastmilk exclusively.

I started out pumping about 10 oz a day (on top of nursing in the morning, at lunchtime, and evening) and now I've worked up to about 14.  I pump about 4 in the morning before work, 5 at around 10:00 and then another 5 or so around 3:30 (again, I nurse her at lunchtime).  The 3:30 pumping can sometimes yield less because you tend to pump less towards the end of the day. 

This output has worked for us and it sounds like your feeding schedule is very similar to ours - Izzy nurses before I go to work, is given expressed breastmilk via bottle during the day and then I nurse her in the evening and before we go to bed.  She used to sleep through the night but she's getting to where she'll wake up once at about 2:30 and I'll nurse her then.

One way to help build up supply is to make sure you pump in the morning even on weekends.  As time goes on - the more you pump the more you'll produce, too.

Quoting BoodleBear:

I'm worried its not enough.  That could also be because I hate, HATE being away from my baby.  I don't think anyone can take care of her as well as I do. 
Any other thoughts from anyone about the pumping output?

Ya know...taken out of context I must seem so strange -

Ani DiFranco

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)