Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OUUUUCH!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM
  • 6 Replies
My son has teeth, and unfortunately he uses them EVERYTIME he feeds. He has made me bleed and I'm in so much pain when he nurses. I hurt so bad that it hurts to even touch my nipple. Should I just bite my lip and work through the pain or pump on the painful side or should I even wean him?
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
koehl7
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM
The first time my baby boy bite, I just screamed NO really loud.  I also stepped away for a couple of minutes to show him, that he can not nurse after he bites me.  It only happen 2 times, and has not happen since about 2 months now!  Good luck!!
LBSLOTT
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:03 PM
I've heard (haven't gotten to that stage yet)  that if you give them a little tap on the cheek and a stern "No" they'll eventually learn to stop biting.  But like I said, I haven't reached this stage yet, so can't say for sure it works.
beefgoddess
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:04 PM
I don't think he realizes how much he uses his teeth because it's like he scrapes his teeth over the flesh over and over.
sara-gruntlings
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:28 PM
Ouch,t hat does sound painful.

Try pressing his face into your breast every time he scrapes his teeth. And make sure that he's open wide, as the teeth go into a funny position when the baby's mouth is open wide, and it minimizes the scraping. Just press down on his chin to make him open wider.
cali4niachef
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 7:33 PM

every time he bites you, tell him NO firmly, if he does it after you have told him no i would end the nursing session and try again a little while. repeat.

DRRich2007
by on Mar. 29, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Quoting sara-gruntlings:

Ouch,t hat does sound painful.

Try pressing his face into your breast every time he scrapes his teeth. And make sure that he's open wide, as the teeth go into a funny position when the baby's mouth is open wide, and it minimizes the scraping. Just press down on his chin to make him open wider.

I just got this same advice today from a mother who successfully nursed all four of her children!  I'm going to try it!  She said it may sound a little scary, but it does work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN