Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dwindling by nightfall

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 9:17 AM
  • 4 Replies
Every morning I wake up and my breast are so ready to go! But as the day goes on I feel more and more deflated. Like as the day goes on I am slowly producing less milk and seem to run out by our last feeding or two and I hate giving her a bottle at night. Help please!
by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
vsonnier
by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 9:29 AM
Are you sure your child actually needs more as the day goes on?  I know my son is a total hog first thing in the morning.  I'm always super full first thing then he of course sucks me dry like a little vampire and the rest of the day I never feel anywhere as close to being full as I did that morning.  As long as you are feeding on demand, there is no reason why you should be offering a bottle even if your breasts feel deflated.  I know around the time my son was two months old my breasts constantly felt deflated.  I would pump and only get an ounce when before I was getting 4-6 ounces.  I totally freaked out thinking my child wasn't getting enough but after some reassurance from some other moms that my body was indeed producing exactly what my son needed I relaxed. 

If your child is satisfied after nursing and is creating enough wet diapers then don't worry about how your breasts feel.  Your body knows exactly what your baby needs!
babymine
by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 10:32 AM
I agree with vsonnier.  Some days my breast dont ever feel very full, but I can always squeeze out milk (I check all the time  LOL)  and I know for sure that my son is getting enough.  He's a 21lb 6 month old so he definately isn't starving!  So, seriously don't go on how full you feel, there is plenty of milk even when you feel completely deflated.   I have days were I feel full all the time like he can't empty me, and other days, like today, where I wake up feeling deflated and it just gets worse when he eats, but he is eating so I don't worry. 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 30, 2007 at 10:38 AM
Your supply does normally dwindle throughout the day. You're not supposed to have that full feeling forever; pretty soon it will be gone all the time.

HOWEVER...you will ALWAYS have enough milk. It's made while you nurse.

Don't give bottles in the evening; they will sabotage the natural process.

Just count dipes. It's the ONLY indication of giving baby enough. 6-8 per day and you're golden.
JCJBarrett
by on Mar. 30, 2007 at 11:45 AM
Thanks ladies! :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)