Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

READ ME BEFORE YOU BUY A PUMP!!!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM
  • 138 Replies
3 moms liked this

One of the biggest questions we get asked is what pump to buy.

The right pump really depends on how much pumping you'll need to do. BUT...no cheap pumps. Which eliminates certain brands right off the top.

Here then, are the tried and true pumps.

MEDIUM TO HEAVY NEEDS:

As in, working full time or pumping exclusively.

Medela Pump In Style: Approximately $300 at most stores. A double electric that will get the job done quickly.  Removed from recommendations because of problems with black mold and non-compliance with WHO code.

Ameda Purely Yours: Another excellent double electric.

EDITED TO ADD: Hygeia. Closed-system pump that seems to work quite well.

LIGHT TO MEDIUM NEEDS:

As in, part time work or SAHM needing only the occasional bottle.

Avent Isis: An excellent hand pump. For some moms it works better without the petals.

Medela Swing: Single electric.

BRANDS TO STAY AWAY FROM:

Evenflo. AKA Evilflo AKA The Nipple Shredder. A *few* moms have been successful with this one, but many find that they can't get anything. Or worse...it breaks.

Gerber: Also a breakage record.

EDITED FOR UPDATE: First Years (miPump): A track record of poor performance and early breakage.

EDITED TO ADD: There are always exceptions and your mileage may vary. Some moms can't get a thing with a Medela and excel with the Evenflo. The above recommendations are based on years of feedback from moms.

by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
graciejoe
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:49 AM

I actually love my First Years pump.  But I don't use it very often, or at all anymore for that matter.

ashleybgarcia
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:50 AM

I just bought the Ameda one! I will be a part time worker and take my baby with me, but I thought hey what the heck, they aren't that expensive, and I can use for my next baby!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
SouthALMommy
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 11:07 AM

When I came home from the hospital I was so engorged that I could not get my son to latch. I also took a hot shower and tried to hand express and nothing. It truely felt like I have a rock in my boob instead of tissue and milk. My mom went to the store and bought me the pump in style. I don't use it much but it works wonderful when I do. I don't have to spend all day pumping. I'm usually done in 10-15 mins.

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2009 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Medela Pump in Style is wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brwneyeddaisy1
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Quoting ashleybgarcia:

I just bought the Ameda one! I will be a part time worker and take my baby with me, but I thought hey what the heck, they aren't that expensive, and I can use for my next baby!

My Ameda is on it's 5TH BABY!!!!  And still working great!!!!!

Faithers
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:30 PM

i have the evenflo as a hand me down and it sucks...where can i get an affordable pump that works really well?

CMcDougal
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:34 PM

I killed a Gerber hand pump the second time I used it. Part of it went flying across the room. $30 down the drain! I love my Medela Pump in Style. I use it daily and it's great.

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM

Pump In Style.  Cannot stress that enough.

Lilypie Breastfeeding PicLilypie Breastfeeding Ticker
SadiasMomma
by Member on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:38 PM

i have two dr brown's.. one manual and one electric... eerr they both suck LOL and not a milk producing suck!! the hand held one is actually better then the electric but it gave me a self diagnosed case of carpal tunnel... luckily im a sahm and didnt need it but i really wouldnt recommend them to anyone. im not wasting a time on bottles or a pump with my next baby!! breast to cup with no stops in between, God willing!

ajswenson
by on Mar. 2, 2009 at 10:40 PM

Yea the Gerber one is a joke!!! I was so bummed.

Quoting CMcDougal:

I killed a Gerber hand pump the second time I used it. Part of it went flying across the room. $30 down the drain! I love my Medela Pump in Style. I use it daily and it's great.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)