Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

SIGNS OF A LOW MILK SUPPLY

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM
  • 56 Replies
1 mom liked this

SIGNS YOUR MILK SUPPLY IS LOW.

1. You aren't changing wet diapers.

2. See #1.

3. See #1.

And so on.

Nothing else matters. I cannot be emphatic enough about this...too many moms misdiagnose themselves as having a low supply when nothing is farther from the truth.

6-8 dipe changes per day (content does NOT matter) means baby is getting enough.

Infant behavior? What, you expected a rose garden? **smile** It's not an indication.

How your breasts feel? Not an indication.

What you pump? Not an indication.

What goes in must come out....and when enough goes in at least six diapers' worth will come out.

by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billysmami
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:16 PM

i agree with you, I was one of the moms who diagnosed herself as having low supply...LOL

QUESTION FOR YOU though:

I do change tons tons of wet diapers..i cannot begin to tell you how many..LOL but how many times is she supposed to poop.   yesterday she only pooped once.  AND OH GIRL, the smell was like a grown up had done it.  She passes a lot of gas, and they smell too..... is that normal.  I know with my son, he as formula fed only and he was constipated most of the time....

I don't eat cabagge, brocoli, chocolate, coffee and I have limit myself to 1 can of soda a day but ai can go all day without it....

NOTE: TMI but I do have constipation problems...i can go on for 3 to 4 days without going... do i need more fiber in my diet?? or is it normal for her to poop once a day or every other day??

mandafacejones
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:20 PM

You are my favorite for advice, how do you know so much?

NOT JULIETTE!!

SouthALMommy
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:28 PM

A breastfed baby can go a week without pooping. My little man used to not go but every few days.

As for you, I'm the same way and I find that I feel much better when I get a little fiber. Also if you're not good at remembering to eat high fiber foods, try Plum Smart. Juice that is made from plums (a small bit goes a long way)

Quoting billysmami:

i agree with you, I was one of the moms who diagnosed herself as having low supply...LOL

QUESTION FOR YOU though:

I do change tons tons of wet diapers..i cannot begin to tell you how many..LOL but how many times is she supposed to poop.   yesterday she only pooped once.  AND OH GIRL, the smell was like a grown up had done it.  She passes a lot of gas, and they smell too..... is that normal.  I know with my son, he as formula fed only and he was constipated most of the time....

I don't eat cabagge, brocoli, chocolate, coffee and I have limit myself to 1 can of soda a day but ai can go all day without it....

NOTE: TMI but I do have constipation problems...i can go on for 3 to 4 days without going... do i need more fiber in my diet?? or is it normal for her to poop once a day or every other day??

I am a stay at home, breast feeding, kisses and hugs giving, chubby baby loving, happily married, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, anti-CIO, vaxing, disposable diaper using, PCOS having, baby wearing, sale item buying, in college mommy who believes in and trusts THE TRINITY (Father, Son, Holy Spirit).

hurleydoll18
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM

We stopped nursing a while ago but this question has been bugging me and maybe it will help in the future.  We stopped nursing when Caleb was around 5 months old because I *thought* I had a low supply but he didn't have many wet diapers either.  That was the first thing I noticed.  He was having maybe 3-4 wet diapers a day.  Does that mean that my supply was low?  Was there anything I could have done to change things?  He was also nursing every single hour and eating about 3 jar foods a day.  He just always seemed hungry but didn't have a lot of wet diapers.  I was/am not very knowledgeable about nursing and didn't take advantage of the recources available.  I would love to nurse longer with the next one.  What could I have done differently?

billysmami
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:38 PM

aww thank you.... i was concerned because im staying away from all the sicy greasy food, that i like in order to have less problems with her and her tummy.... so i was wondering if I was the cause of her constipation problem... So is normal for her to poop once a day... and the stinky gas is ok too?... i tell you, she out did her father on this one.... LOL.... hubby will killme if he finds out i said that..LOL

I have heard of that Plum Smart.... i will try it this weekend...thanks.. My goal is to breastfeed her at least until she's 6 months.... i have 5  to go...LOL

Quoting SouthALMommy:

A breastfed baby can go a week without pooping. My little man used to not go but every few days.

As for you, I'm the same way and I find that I feel much better when I get a little fiber. Also if you're not good at remembering to eat high fiber foods, try Plum Smart. Juice that is made from plums (a small bit goes a long way)

Quoting billysmami:

QUESTION FOR YOU though:

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 4:56 PM
I agree with mandafacejones.

So, since my boy is having 7-8 wet diapers a day, but has fallen way off the weight chart (born 6lbs 15oz, almost 6mos at about 12lbs) does my milk just not have enough calories?

I take prenatals, DHA, protein. But he's still is tiny, tiny, tiny. He's on the boob ALL the time. But I can't fatten him up. All my boys have done this. Grow fine the first 3 months, then drop off.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting billysmami:

Completely normal! Breastmilk is easily digested and leaves little waste.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom:

So, since my boy is having 7-8 wet diapers a day, but has fallen way off the weight chart (born 6lbs 15oz, almost 6mos at about 12lbs) does my milk just not have enough calories?

The charts have NO BEARING on a breastfed baby. Just look for a gain of as little as four ounces a week.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:10 PM

Quoting hurleydoll18:

We stopped nursing a while ago but this question has been bugging me and maybe it will help in the future.  We stopped nursing when Caleb was around 5 months old because I *thought* I had a low supply but he didn't have many wet diapers either.  That was the first thing I noticed.  He was having maybe 3-4 wet diapers a day.  Does that mean that my supply was low? 

Not necessarily....reading on...

Was there anything I could have done to change things?  He was also nursing every single hour and eating about 3 jar foods a day. 

Hmmm. Before or after nursing? (Correct answer is that nursing comes first. **smile**) And we look for CHANGES...wet or poop.

He just always seemed hungry but didn't have a lot of wet diapers.  I was/am not very knowledgeable about nursing and didn't take advantage of the recources available.  I would love to nurse longer with the next one.  What could I have done differently?

If the solids were being given before nursing, that's what you change.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Mar. 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Quoting mandafacejones:

You are my favorite for advice, how do you know so much?

**grin** Been doing this for a long long time! But the credit really goes to the ladies who taught me, way back when.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN