Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting baby to take a bottle

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

This can be one of the most frustrating things for a mom...and often, mom is creating her own frustration simply by being there.

Here's the trick:

Hand baby to caregiver.

LEAVE. Out of the room, out of the house.

Mom giving baby a bottle is frequently an exercise in futility, and here's an analogy to explain why:

Your breasts = grandma's fresh-baked cookies, right out of the oven.

A bottle = Stale, store bought cookies.

YOU giving a bottle = grandma giving you the stale storebought cookies while she waves a plate of her hot, fresh cookies under your nose, all the while not allowing you to touch the fresh cookies. All you can do is be tortured by the delicious smell.

Baby's nose is keen. Don't torture him with the delicious smell of your fresh milk while trying to offer him the other stuff.

by on Mar. 20, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2Hayleigh
by on Mar. 21, 2009 at 9:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Great analogy. I got a laugh out of that. That is one way to look at it.

mommyspicer
by on Apr. 10, 2009 at 11:00 PM

so I've tried-mind you my LO took expressed milk in a bottle the first 2 or 3 months of life cause i COULDN'T get her latch right and i was in so much pain when she tried well i got her feeding straight from the boob-she's now 7 months-and i CAN NOT get her to take the bottle my problem is she lets it dribble in her mouth and chokes on it/refuses to swallow the milk Any suggestions?? = ) I'm at a loss

in lovebreastfeedingbaby girltoddler boyhappily involved with my SO and a EBF mommy of a new baby girl,with a independent active little man

mandafacejones
by on Jun. 2, 2009 at 1:53 PM

That makes sense.

Cynthje
by on Jun. 2, 2009 at 2:04 PM

Makes sense!

My daughter doesnt take a bottle from me or my husband but does take them at daycare (pumped milk). As soon as she gets home she wants to nurse even when she's just been fed there!

JakesMom0606
by on Jun. 5, 2009 at 12:53 PM

That is so true because my 6 month old is BF but at the beginning he would take the bottle. Now if he sees me he never will take the bottle. He just started daycare and i thought that he was going to starve himself to death before he took the bottle, but I left pumped milk and he drank it. But he still wants to fed like every two hours. and i just cant pump that much.

westtexaslady
by on Jul. 3, 2009 at 10:30 AM

i wish that worked for me... we have tried EVERYTHING. my mom has tried to feed her when she's really hungry or when she's not so hungry. we've bought 3 different bottles (1 including just a regular nipple), the sippy cup now that she is nearly 6 months old, formula just in case she doesn't want my milk from the bottle, mixing it with rice cereal because she likes rice cereal, having her sit in her bouncer and then trying to give her the bottle... i mean everything... but no luck.

Necie72
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 12:53 AM

funny that i read this tonight...  we were at my brother's house for a bbq today, and i had taken some pumped milk...  they have pets and i'm allergic, so i couldn't go inside to bf, so i took milk, and my cover up just in case...  well, dd was taking a bottle from my mom just fine...  even with me sitting nearby...  well, i went to get another one (i had the 2.5 oz. bottles, and the one she started with wasn't full while the others were heating on the stove...)  well, not thinking, my mom asked me if i wanted to give her the new full bottle...  she wanted to go to the other part of the yard, the smoking section...  hahaha  so, she handed dd to me, and dd immediately started to have a FIT!  so, i had no choice but to whip out the cover and let her nurse...  thank goodness i had it...  she nursed for a few minutes, let out a big burp and slept for the rest of the time that we were there...  when she started crying (everyone knows her as a very quiet baby), i said to my brother, who was holding a beer...  "would you want a warm beer when there's a nice cooler full of ice cold ones?"  everyone started laughing, and a few even said, "yeah, i think i'd take a boob over a bottle too!!!!"  LOL

HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!!!  :-)

angelsam
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 2:14 AM
Quoting westtexaslady:

i wish that worked for me... we have tried EVERYTHING. my mom has tried to feed her when she's really hungry or when she's not so hungry. we've bought 3 different bottles (1 including just a regular nipple), the sippy cup now that she is nearly 6 months old, formula just in case she doesn't want my milk from the bottle, mixing it with rice cereal because she likes rice cereal, having her sit in her bouncer and then trying to give her the bottle... i mean everything... but no luck.

The same thing was happening with DD she refused to take a bottle at my parents while I was at work we tried ll the bottle we could by and still refused.. We tried with the playtex drop ins and she would take about an ounce.. then i told them to try warming the milk up more maybe hotter and she took it the milk has to be extra warm for her almost hot i guess just not hot enough to burn her .. And she takes about 3 ounces per feeding. And still wants more....  Now we think it had nothing to so with the bottles but the temperature of the milk.

Lilypie
mommytobe9076
by on Sep. 15, 2009 at 6:55 PM

When my son was just a couple of months old my sister-in-law was keeping him for about 8 hours a day while I was a full time college student. He would take a bottle of breastmilk fine and even started taking some formula when I wasn't able to pump enough. For the past couple of months he has been home with me constantly. So now when I try to leave him with a sitter for a few hours or something he refuses to take the bottle for more than just a couple of sips. Sometimes he will take some breasmilk but most of the time he just pitches a fit. And he won't touch formula anymore. My husband says that if he is with someone else and he gets hungry enough he will take the bottle but I really hate the thought of him starving so much that he will take anything...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 15, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Quoting mommytobe9076:

My husband says that if he is with someone else and he gets hungry enough he will take the bottle but I really hate the thought of him starving so much that he will take anything...

Your husband is right. And baby isn't starving. They eat LONG before they get to the starving stage.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN