Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How to become a Lactation Consultant - UPDATED INFO AT TOP

Posted by   + Show Post

New requirements for 2012 are here:

http://americas.iblce.org/announcing-future-requirements

Thanks to Cindy for providing this info.

I'm currently working on becoming an IBCLC. I was a BF peer counselor at two local hospitals, I worked directly with IBCLC. I was hired by WIC but I was different then every other PC WIC employs because they normally work in the community and clinics. I worked for 2.5yrs and during this time I occurred over 500hrs. You need to work directly under supervision of an LC for the breastfeeding counseling hours to count.

In fall I'm taking a the Human Lactation course by Jan Rouridan via distance learning through Wichita State Univ. It accounts for 45 lactation education hours, 60 if you write a paper.

Im starting a breastfeeding peer counselor support group which I'm intending to become a LLL mtg. I need to send off my application and request for membership to LLL to start the accreditation process. Each year you are a LLL Leader accounts towards 500hrs of breastfeeding counseling, you can use only 2yrs. However it should be noted it is highly frowned upon to use LLL as a means to become an IBCLC.

With that said that is not why I'm becoming a leader. I've been wanting to be a leader for about 3yrs now and we have NOOOOO LLL groups in my entire state, we are in dire need of one.

Also there are a few college courses that are recommended you take; A&P, sociology, psych, child development, nutrition and medical terminology.

The IBCLC is offered once a year at major cities, it may vary on the month depending on the city or it may be just once a year in July.

I would recommend checking into becoming a WIC PC, if you do become one you must work with an IBCLC that has recert. within 5yrs. Most WIC PC coordinators are LC's, if not they should be. You could volunteer as a BF PC at a local hospital, the LC's could groom you if they are willing to. You could also become a LLL Leader.

Below are some links for more information on becoming an LC.
Approved and Accredited Courses

Becoming a Lactation Consultant

Kellymom Links to becoming an IBCLC

Requirements

I HOPE THAT HELPS!

Let me know if you have any questions!!!

~ Cindy

by on May. 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM
Replies (11-20):
Gecko85
by on Oct. 18, 2010 at 9:42 AM

This

Quoting Alissa210:

Would anyone be able to update this page with the new requirements coming in 2012?? I would love to become a lactation consultant...and it's all the requirements are sooooooo confusing to me!!! I don't know what to do first.  

I am a...

Cloth diapering, Breast Feeding, Selective Vaxxing, Co-sleeping, ERF to the MAX, non-CIO, Wiccan, Gay Rights Supporting, Outdoorsy, Crafty, Animal loving,  Girl Scout Supporting, College Educated, Army Wife, Other culture absorbing, liberal, SAHM, to one beautiful baby girl.

fortheloveoftwo
by on Oct. 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM

BUMP!

mjimaging
by Silver Member on Oct. 25, 2010 at 3:00 PM
I'm having the same problem.

Quoting Gecko85:

This

Quoting Alissa210:

Would anyone be able to update this page with the new requirements coming in 2012?? I would love to become a lactation consultant...and it's all the requirements are sooooooo confusing to me!!! I don't know what to do first.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 25, 2010 at 4:17 PM

http://americas.iblce.org/announcing-future-requirements

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 29, 2011 at 12:39 PM

BUMP!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 29, 2011 at 1:02 PM

BUMP!

maryo630
by on Apr. 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM

BUMP!

debbie8701
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:18 PM
Oh wow my head is spinning right now...lol...kinda confusing and i cant get the new requirment from my phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:37 PM

I refuse to web browse from my iPhone because it just doesn't work well.

Here are the bare bones. There is more on the website linked above...c heck it out when you can get to a computer.

Steps for Becoming an IBCLC

Anyone who wants to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) must meet all of the following requirements:

• Prerequisite higher education in the health sciences
  • Education specifically about human lactation and breastfeeding
  • Clinical practice in providing care to breastfeeding families

Step 1
The way you will obtain the required clinical practice in lactation and breastfeeding
care is one of the first things you should consider. How and where you complete the required clinical experience will determine which of the IBLCE exam eligibility pathways you follow.

Your professional background will influence where you are able to obtain the required clinical experience. You are not required to be a health professional in order to qualify for the exam.

Do you have recent experience working in a paid or volunteer job in which you help breastfeeding mothers and babies?  

Yes. Pathway 1 is probably the most logical choice for you. Pathway 1 requires at least 1000 hours of experience in providing care to breastfeeding families.

No. Unless you have the opportunity for employment or volunteer work in which you provide care to breastfeeding families, Pathway 2 or Pathway 3 might be more logical choices.

Step 2
All candidates for the IBLCE exam must have completed higher education in the health sciences. IBLCE has identified 14 subjects that all candidates must have studied during their college/university education. Typically, these General Education subjects are ones that healthprofessionals have already studied.

Evaluating your background education is something that you should do early in the decision making process about becoming an IBCLC. Your evaluation may show that you will need to enroll in courses. The other factor that affects the higher education requirement is your professional background.

Do you hold credentials in a health profession?

Yes. Most likely, you have completed all the General Education Requirements.

No. You should obtain copies of your college/university transcripts and evaluate the courses that you have already taken against the General Education requirements. There is no time limit on when the courses were taken. If you took the courses years ago, that is okay.

Step 3
All candidates need 90 hours of education in human lactation and breastfeeding, regardless of the exam eligibility pathway chosen.

Step 4

To find out details about how to qualify for the IBLCE exam, please read the following webpages in the order shown.

1. How to Qualify
  2. Pathways
  3. Frequently Asked Questions

tcmeeler
by on Oct. 26, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN