Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Need help with Weaning

Posted by on Sep. 11, 2007 at 8:51 PM
  • 4 Replies
I've been breastfeeding for almost a year now and I've decided that it's time to wean. My 1 yr old is so active that sometimes it's really hard for him to nurse. Other times, it almost takes a crowbar to get him off the breast. I'm trying to wean and know my breast have such lumps in them. What do I do? Do I let him nurse a little to relieve the pressure or deal with it?
by on Sep. 11, 2007 at 8:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:35 PM
Drop one feeding a week till they're gone.
jessi_peeps03
by on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:44 PM

I dunno if this really works but a nurse told me to put cabbage leaves in my bra and w/in 24-48 hrs the leaves will dry up ur milk and you won't have to deal with the lumps and pain. 

But here's what I did...I would breastfeed less and less everyday and in about 2 weeks I had my daughter completely weaned off the breast.  there were days where I would get engorged so I would hand express some of the milk just enough to release some of the pressure.  Just remember the more you feed and the more stimulation there is to ur breast, u'll keep producing milk.  good luck!

shannon25_06
by on Sep. 11, 2007 at 9:46 PM
I think the best way is to slowly decrease the number of feedings until you are dry. The last feedings are the hardest to do, and there will probably be some discomfort, but nothing that 2 sports bras and a little ibuprofen won't fix :) 
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 11, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Quoting jessi_peeps03:

I dunno if this really works but a nurse told me to put cabbage leaves in my bra and w/in 24-48 hrs the leaves will dry up ur milk and you won't have to deal with the lumps and pain. 

But here's what I did...I would breastfeed less and less everyday and in about 2 weeks I had my daughter completely weaned off the breast.  there were days where I would get engorged so I would hand express some of the milk just enough to release some of the pressure.  Just remember the more you feed and the more stimulation there is to ur breast, u'll keep producing milk.  good luck!

Yes, the cabbage leaves work. Slow weaning is better and doesn't stink, though...those cabbage leaves get smelly!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)