Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Pregnant While Breastfeeding

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

I'm still breastfeeding my 6 month old and just got off the pill (micronor).  I just started him on solids, but he's still bf'ing about every 2-3 hours.  Has anyone here gotten pregnant while nursing?  We'd like to have another, so I'm just wondering what my chances of getting pg are.  I don't plan on weaning him anytime soon, but the sooner we get pg, the better.  Thanks for any input!

by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jun. 7, 2009 at 3:27 PM

Have you talked with your doc about your plans to get pregnant? I know mine says two years between delivery of the first and conception of the second, to preserve mom's health.

Your chances are EXCELLENT if you aren't using protection and your cycles have returned. It should also be noted that cycles generally won't return until your body is ready for another pregnancy. So just go with the flow.

livelaughlover
by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 3:39 PM

me! My son is now 6 moths old and i am 12 weeks prego

Pregnancy ticker

Brandimusselman
by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 3:45 PM

Quoting gdiamante:

Have you talked with your doc about your plans to get pregnant? I know mine says two years between delivery of the first and conception of the second, to preserve mom's health.

Your chances are EXCELLENT if you aren't using protection and your cycles have returned. It should also be noted that cycles generally won't return until your body is ready for another pregnancy. So just go with the flow.

I agree completely my first 2 are 18 months apart then there is a 3 year gap between my 2nd and 3rd. I am pregnant with my 4th (got pregnant while bfing #3) and they will be about 22 months apart. I had a much easier pregnancy with #3 than the rest the whole back to back thing really does take a toll on your body.

TOMUCH_2FAST
by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 3:49 PM

Its possible to get pregnant while breast feeding. I woud just go with the flow go ahead and try to get pregnant and if after a few months your not Pregnant then your body isnt ready yet good luck!

baby dust

30toes
by on Jun. 7, 2009 at 6:36 PM

My doc said to wait one year from birth time to conception, but I haven't had a cycle and never have at anytime I've breastfed in the past.  That's why I had to ask about getting pg while bf'ing- I wouldn't have any way of knowing if/when I'm ovulating, I don't think...it would be a "shot in the dark" on taking the ovulation test.  I did begin my cycle once I stopped bf'ing in the past.  The reason why I've gotten off the pill before the year is up is because for one, I am 40 and we want a sibling for our 6 month old (half brother and sister are 6 and 9 and we'd like a sibling closer to his age).  The other reason for getting off the pill is because I am just "over" taking the synthetic hormones.  My hb will get a vasectomy once we are done.  If anyone else has gotten pg while bf'ing and w/out cycling, please tell me your story.  Thanks for all who have responded so far!  It's been helpful:)

hbarlow
by on Jul. 19, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I got pregnant while BFing my 7 month old. My period started back when she was 3 months old though... so I knew I was pregnant.

caaron70
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I have gotten pregnant twice without my cycle returning!  I have 3 boys all 15 months apart.  Trust me I was not trying!  lol  After we found out about the surprise #3 my husband practically ran to get a vasectomy!  Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2009 at 2:27 AM

Quoting 30toes:
If anyone else has gotten pg while bf'ing and w/out cycling, please tell me your story.  Thanks for all who have responded so far!  It's been helpful:)

Heh heh...I have 40 cousins due to breastfeeding as birth contro1!

I've known quite a few women to get pregnant not just once but multiple times back to back without a period in between. One of them was one of my best friends. She got pregnant with her third when she was a mere six weeks postpartum, and didn't know till she was five months along.

Skys_mommy86
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 2:29 AM

I did, sky was 14 months and bfing. They will be 22 months apart. I always heard to wait at least a year between, and we did. My body was back to normal before i got pregnant my second time!

I love my Skylar Rayne!

a2zali
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 7:58 AM

My cycle had returned and we decided to stop not trying, but not to really start trying and I got pregnant, it was awesome, since we tried like hell for a year and a half to get our first. They're about 27 months apart

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)