Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good B/C for Breatsfeeding Moms?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:11 AM
  • 17 Replies

When I got pregnant with my first, I breastfed him and got on b/c right away. Well, my son ended up getting extremely sick and losing way too much weight so I had to suppliment (I argued and screamed to prevent this since I was pupming 9 oz at a time during certain parts of the day so the doc and hospital knew it wasn't me but my son's disorder causing it) Anyways, I ended up getting pregnant when he was 6 months old with my baby girl. Now, I was perscribed another birth control pill called Jovelette which caused me some horrible side effects. I asked my doctor if he could give me something else and he said that Yasmin was perfectly safe for breastfeeding moms. Well, I go into the pharmacy to get it and they said that was completely unsafe and not to take when breastfeeding or pregnant!  I went onto  www.kellymom.com to find out and come to find out it slows down milk supply, etc. Does anyone else know of a b/c pill that is ok to take when breastfeeding or of any other b/c method besides the obvious use of condoms ? lol. Thanks!!!

by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamaShaina
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:14 AM
I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was progestin only, becuase estrogen can dry you up. Ask your doc, they'll know. I don't think that estrogen is unsafe for breastfeeding, it is just the possibility of your milk drying up that discourages some people.
diannelei
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:15 AM
hmm.. when i was on bc while breastfeeding my son, i was taking "NorQD" which seemed pretty safe for my son. he didn't get sick or anything of that bad stuff, BUT like every other bc pills out there, it does reduce your milk supply so i guess you can say that was the whole reason of my stopping my bc, but overall, it seemed safe for my son while i was on it. hope that helps.

christine_maddy
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:15 AM
I am on a progesterone-only birth control pill.  It's taken daily like all the others, and from what my OBGYN said, it's the only one that is safe for nursing moms.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

2_Whomp_Diddys
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:17 AM
Thanks! Im thinkng of switching docs. because this is the 3rd med. that he perscribed for me that is unsafe for breastfeeding and we had a problem where we argued back and forth for 3 weeks about whether you can pass thrush along by breastfeeding. (You can but he refused to admitt this so I ended up talking to my lactation consultant and she suggested otc remedies for me)   :)
dinglejen
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:17 AM
You should ask your dr about the ring (actual name, NuvaRing)... my OBGYN told me it was a perfect choice for breastfeeding mama's because it works (basically) at the site, and doesn't get into the blood stream that much.  Although I'm not taking B/C, I did use the ring and I really liked it.  As long as you are comfortable with your body (it actually sits in you for 3 weeks) it shouldn't be a problem.

SweetSerenity
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 12:20 AM
I think the Nuva Ring is great, but for me I am getting an IUD put in. They last 5-10 years depending which one you choose and if you decide you want kids before then they can be removed sooner.
Elizabeth4980
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 1:18 AM
Back when I used b/c i really liked the depo shot and was great for me breastfeeding - no problems at all.  I hate having to remember a pill every day - so annoying.

~*Elizabeth*~

Proud Mom of Mitchell, Henry, and Violet

MommaDia
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 1:27 AM
I actually have to go back to my doctor. I told her I was breastfeeding and I wanted a birth control pill that would work with that. She gave me a prescription for Orthotricyclen-lo which I researched before filling the prescription and it still isn't good for breastfeeding so I have to go back and get another prescription.
fitchusa
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 1:41 AM
some have said it before me, but yes, if you're getting bc with hormones, it's estrogen you want to stay away from, and progestren that shouldn't affect your nursing.  non-hormonal are the best option... things like the ring, condoms, diaphragms, etc.
s.teph
by on Sep. 14, 2007 at 1:53 AM

I use the nuva ring, and it's great so far, although I haven't been on it for a long time. It can be prescribed to be worn for 3 weeks or even 4 weeks at a time, meaning you don't have to get a period if you don't want to, and my husband can not feel it at all during sex, which is a plus. I don't even know it is there. And (so far) there have been no major mood changes like I experienced in the past on Lo-Ovral (my previous bc pill). The only thing I have experienced on the list of side effects, was a very mild headache, but it went away with a few tylenol, and that could have been a side effect from everyday life! It also is supposed to increase your breast size slightly, I should mention that, in case you seriously don't want a larger chest... I had a small chest to begin with so I'm not exactly complaining.

EDIT 11/01: DO NOT use the Nuva Ring if you are breast feeding. Or if you do.. be aware that it can decrease your supply. I had a well established supply originally, my son was about 3 and a half months old, and was able to pump enough bottles to be one day in advance.. and even had the opportunity to freeze it sometimes (I was working at the time, so bottles for the next day were a must). At this point I'm lucky if I'm ONE bottle ahead for the day, and often I do not have one at all. The Ring has messed up my supply so bad, and my doctor KNEW I was breastfeeding, and didn't bother to offer anything else or even warn me.She NEVER told me anything, and it says in the fine print in the insert not to use while breastfeeding. Another lovely side effect is that it allows your INFANT to grow BREASTS, due to the introduction of estrogen or something. My little boy seems fine, but my supply is still horribly freakishly low, and nothing seems to help it now. I have pumped for days and nursed all the time.. still nothing. I repeat... DO NOT USE THE RING WHATEVER YOU DO.. IT"S NOT WORTH IT!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)