Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Wanting to start weaning, but my baby hates cows milk!

Posted by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM
  • 8 Replies
So my daughter turned one last month, and don't get me wrong im in NO hurry to get her off the breast. It's just that i have no idea how to go about the whole weaning thing when my daughter hates cows milk. I tried giving her some vanilla soy milk, thinking she might like it better because its sweeter, kind of like breast milk. No luck. You should have seen the disgusted look on her face.

Now she has no problem drinking from a cup, never used a bottle. I attempted giving her breastmilk from the cup and she just spit it at me. Her attempt at telling me this kind i will only drink straight from the tap.
Now with all this being said, how do (1) i get her to drink regular milk, and (2) eventually go about weaning her with she's clawing at my shirt.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

-Ashley
by on Jul. 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 11, 2009 at 6:16 PM

OK if you have issue with nursing then just let her nurse, theres NO need to give cows milk or any other milk if she nurse 3 times a day AND child led weaning is SOOOO much easier, give her time she will gradually cut back on nursings and one day just stop and that will be it, it does happen and no most kids wean before starting kindergarten lol, natural age of weaning starts around age 2.

MY son hated bottles loves straw sippys and regular cups, hated and couldn't tolderate cows milk until about 19 months and even then its only 2%...my milk is whole milk and he still gets that so no big deal and also he was cool with vanilla rice milk, its MUCH better tasting than soy and none of the estrogen as in the soy

graciesmommy26
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM
Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. My thoughts were to try rice milk too, but a flyer from our pediatrician said not to give it. Maybe for a treat i'll try it sometime. Im in no hurry like i said, but it would be nice to go out sometime without her pawing at my shirt. lol. You know i get so much grief for still breast feeding. I'm comfortable with it and so is my hubby. As long as it's beneficial to my daughter and it's what she wants she will continue to get it.
Thanks again
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 17, 2009 at 11:19 PM

For the "shirt clawing," you can teach her nursing manners.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html  I'm working on it with my 19 month old.

Lavagirl
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Babies are supposed to get whole milk for 2 whole years.  Think of how funny/gross it would be to see a baby hanging off of a cow's udders.  Not such a natural thought, eh?  This is because little human babies are actually supposed to have HUMAN whole milk for at least 2 whole years.  That's what's absolute best for them.  I think that health care providers just don't expect women to run the distance with breastfeeding, and so they tell us to give cow's milk.  Really, breast is STILL best.  For the baby that continues to breastfeed between her 1st and 2nd year, she still has 39% of all of her nutritional needs met by the breastmilk!  This means that about 40% (almost half!) of her vitamins, fat, protein, carbohydrates, minerals, etc. are still derived from her mommy's milk.  That's not negligable!!! 

I'd say your daughter probably knows what's best for her at this point!  There's a good reason she may not like that cow's milk....because she's not a baby cow!!!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM

Quoting graciesmommy26:

So my daughter turned one last month, and don't get me wrong im in NO hurry to get her off the breast. It's just that i have no idea how to go about the whole weaning thing when my daughter hates cows milk
Don't worry about it. She doesn't need it. The nutrients are in other foods. Water is prefect for hydration. Mine could take or leave milk, most often leaving it. He preferred water.
. I tried giving her some vanilla soy milk, thinking she might like it better because its sweeter, kind of like breast milk. No luck. You should have seen the disgusted look on her face.

Now she has no problem drinking from a cup, never used a bottle. I attempted giving her breastmilk from the cup and she just spit it at me. Her attempt at telling me this kind i will only drink straight from the tap.
Now with all this being said, how do (1) i get her to drink regular milk, and (2) eventually go about weaning her with she's clawing at my shirt.
For the first...don't worry about it. for the second, don't offer, don't refuse. hse'll lose interest on her own.

Thanks for your thoughts in advance!

-Ashley

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 18, 2009 at 4:11 PM

Ignore the grief givers, and feel free to cross them off your social calendar.

Quoting graciesmommy26:

You know i get so much grief for still breast feeding.
KBeanBean
by on Jul. 18, 2009 at 8:53 PM

Maybe try goat's milk?  And I agree with the previous posts. 

graciesmommy26
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 3:38 PM
Quoting aehanrahan:

For the "shirt clawing," you can teach her nursing manners.  http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/nursing-manners.html  I'm working on it with my 19 month old.

Thanks for this link. I now know i'm not the only one to have a nursing acrobat!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN