Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Organizing milk freezer bags

Posted by   + Show Post

I bought the Lansinoh bags for storage and was curious how to organize them once they are frozen flat. 

First Years makes an organizer but, the reviews say that these bags don't fit. 

Any ideas? 

by on Jul. 14, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Replies (11-16):
Klynn-whitlow
by on Feb. 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM

I've gotten the Lansinoh bags to fit in the First Years organizer. Only problem i have with using the organizer is they don't freeze flat. I never even thought of freezing them flat and stacking them. LOL. I have TONS of milk in my deep freezer that i am stock piling for when i stop BFing or to use once i start giving my baby cereal... and they are just a big mess of frozen chunks on the bottom of my freezer right now. LOL.

Quoting MrsPettis:

I bought the Lansinoh bags for storage and was curious how to organize them once they are frozen flat. 

First Years makes an organizer but, the reviews say that these bags don't fit. 

Any ideas? 

BrookesMom1217
by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I freeze all of my milk laying flat. (I bring 3 bags home each day from pumping at work) Once they are frozen I stick them in a plastic organizer I bought from Walmart. I place them on their side so I can fit more in (instead of laying them flat and stacking up, I side stack them if that makes sense, kind of like thumbing through index cards) About Once a month I go through the plastic organizer and seperate them into ozs putting the oldest first. I have one organizer for each oz amount. Since the plastic organizers have brand labels on the side, I just took a sharpy and wrote the oz amount over the brand label and stick that side toward me in the freezer so I can see it. Then the hubby and I just go into the box with the oz amount we need and take one out of that box. (5 ozs for a feeding, 3 ounces for oatmeal, and so on) At one point I was taking up 3 shelves in the deep freezer. Now I only have one and a half. This is with my second baby. For my first baby I didn't need any organization because I never had the opportunity to store up any milk for her. She drank it all and then some!

Missbehaves
by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I used those bags and the organizer and they fit just fine.

JenMarieRN
by on Nov. 1, 2010 at 1:13 PM
I use the first years bags and organizer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 1, 2010 at 2:19 PM

Shoe boxes, I lay flat to freeze then turn them on their sides in shoe boxes, the cardboard helpes to keep them from freezer burning and once the box is full I can lable with how much is in each box on the top of the lid too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Nov. 1, 2010 at 2:25 PM

BTW its best NOT to dip into a freezer stahs and use the fresh milk from the day before.  This is best becuase the immunities and nutrition in the milk from current is best for your child at the current time.  The only time frozen milk should be used is if mom drops a bottle and it spills, moms leaves her milk at work accidently, milk gets left out and goes bad etc.  Using milk from a freezer stash as back up with actually hurt supply if baby is eatting more each day then mom pumps...baby should not eat more than mom pumps as that means those ounces are ounces NOT being taken from mom that day and supply will suffer.

I had a HUGE stock for when I went back to work..becuase last time I struggled to pump enough.  I found by pumping once a day no matter what my body is used to making just enough extra to be able to pump decent amounts.  I always use fresh from the day before milk(or from 2-3 days before if its Monday).  I have donated so far 500oz of my stored milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN