Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

After your leave is up?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
  • 24 Replies

Ok i am 7 months pregnant and plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible which is starting to look like just the six weeks maternity leave.  I work in fast food and when i had made the comment about possibly bringing a pump to work i got a lot of giggles and what for questions.  i breastfeed my first born for about 9 months and the whole 5 months of it I was taking a pump to school and using the teachers restroom and fridge to do so.  but i don't think i've ever been made to feel so stupid in my life.  plus i am getting criticized for even thinking about bf bc it may not be for that long.  What would you do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blueberry1
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:11 PM

I would bring my pump to work and not worry about what anyone else thinks.  Your baby, your choice and everyone else can mind their own business.

sammiejsmom
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:27 PM

I agree here

Quoting blueberry1:

I would bring my pump to work and not worry about what anyone else thinks.  Your baby, your choice and everyone else can mind their own business.

Rachie7987
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:29 PM

I would be bringing a pump to work and pumping and not worrying what other people think.

Good luck!

sassytasha
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:35 PM

Quoting blueberry1:

Thanks a lot.  It's not really that I care what they think but I just don't see how they couldn't be so understanding.  I don't know if they are concerned about the time I would need to pump or what but their attitude has made me think about not returning when my leave is up

CafeMom Tickers
amybug08
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:36 PM

Don't ever care what anyone else says!!

You are giving your baby the best thing ever!!! There is no need to feel shameful and pressured about that.

MNLETLE
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Pump for sure...screw them!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

MonicasMommy
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM

I would pump at work (well, I do!) and I don't care what anyone else says!! 

Philosowife
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:39 PM

You were met with giggles and criticism from your boss/supervisors???

That's just inappropriate and I'd call it discrimination.

Are there laws in your state that protect breastfeeding women in the workplace?  There is a law in my state that is just over a year old that GUARANTEES women working for companies over a certain number of employees the time and space to pump, as well as a place to store their expressed milk.

dhrmcanulty
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:43 PM

I would try to stay home as long as possible if your job isnt absolutely a have to thing. If it is pump and dont worry what the say or think. your baby is more important!

*I'm 20 yrs old, Proud Army Wife to SPC Andrew D. McAnulty and A Stay at home mommy to Reagan(11/9/07) & Asher (5/26/09) Married for 3 years. I am a natural birthing, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, co-sleeping, extended rear facing, mama! I have Endometriosis, Bipolar Disorder, and Fibromyalgia but they do not have me. I do what I do because it's what's best for MY family. Respect my opinion and I'll respect yours*

sassytasha
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Quoting Philosowife:

You were met with giggles and criticism from your boss/supervisors???

That's just inappropriate and I'd call it discrimination.

Are there laws in your state that protect breastfeeding women in the workplace?  There is a law in my state that is just over a year old that GUARANTEES women working for companies over a certain number of employees the time and space to pump, as well as a place to store their expressed milk.

what state do you live in and where would i need to look this info up bc i am not forsure it my state does or not. and i really do apprecaite that advice along with everyone elses

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)