Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ok i am 7 months pregnant and plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible which is starting to look like just the six weeks maternity leave.  I work in fast food and when i had made the comment about possibly bringing a pump to work i got a lot of giggles and what for questions.  i breastfeed my first born for about 9 months and the whole 5 months of it I was taking a pump to school and using the teachers restroom and fridge to do so.  but i don't think i've ever been made to feel so stupid in my life.  plus i am getting criticized for even thinking about bf bc it may not be for that long.  What would you do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 24, 2009 at 2:28 AM

www.llli.org has a summary of every state's laws. You can find yours.

I'd be looking for another job.

Quoting sassytasha:

Quoting Philosowife:

You were met with giggles and criticism from your boss/supervisors???

That's just inappropriate and I'd call it discrimination.

Are there laws in your state that protect breastfeeding women in the workplace?  There is a law in my state that is just over a year old that GUARANTEES women working for companies over a certain number of employees the time and space to pump, as well as a place to store their expressed milk.

what state do you live in and where would i need to look this info up bc i am not forsure it my state does or not. and i really do apprecaite that advice along with everyone elses

FLmomma2be
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 9:32 AM

I pump at work everyday 3 times a day. I work with about 35 men and 5 women, who only 1 of the 5 women have a child. At first everyone would stop and ask what is in the bag and I just told them it is a breastpump and one girl said to me once oh my god how many times a day do you  have to do that. Just ignore their comments and keep thinking of what is best for you and your child and you will do great!

sassytasha
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 7:50 PM

Quoting FLmomma2be:

I pump at work everyday 3 times a day. I work with about 35 men and 5 women, who only 1 of the 5 women have a child. At first everyone would stop and ask what is in the bag and I just told them it is a breastpump and one girl said to me once oh my god how many times a day do you  have to do that. Just ignore their comments and keep thinking of what is best for you and your child and you will do great!

well thanks a bunch that makes me feel a lot better.  i don't know if they were being asswholes to be one or if they were mb worried about my worl perfomrmance but i'm already trying to find a another job to set up for after i have the baby

CafeMom Tickers
Moxies_Mommy
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 5:04 PM

the benefits reaped by your baby for  breastfeeding will last longer than you have that job or know those people.  Ignore them because they are ignorant!

Breastmilk and no vaccines makes my baby the healthiest kid on the block!

Amy614
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Ignore them and do it anyway.  Do they even know what they are talking about?

I BF my DS for 18 months, and had to go back to work at 6 weeks.  I got lucky and didn't have to pump every day, since I work in a child care center, and was able to bring DS with me (he was enrolled there).  Since he was right there, I was able to BF him directly on the days he was there.  I only had to pump 2-3 days a week usually.  I did get a couple comments about it, but none of them were to my face; I always heard about them in the context of "so and so said this about your pumping..."  and none of it was specificlly about my choice to BF or pump, they were having an issue with the fact that it sometimes (ok, usually) took longer than 15 min to get everything taken care of when pumping (or BFing for that matter).   But since my boss was super supportive of my choice, I didn't care.  She talked to every person that made a comment about it, and told them that she and I had an arrangement that was working out for us, so that I was able to make up the extra time I needed for my breaks to get things done.

Also, your local Dept. of Human Services should have access to the information that protects BFing moms in the workplace too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2009 at 5:34 PM

Why feel stupid because you are doing the absolute best thing for your child?  I think people who don't even try to make it work are stupid, but thats my opinion...

Never let anyone make you feel wrong.

BFing isn't all or nothing, even if it wasn't possible to pump at work, pump when not at work, and nurse like crazy at home and yuo should do fine.  AND theres options of combination feedings when at work if you don't pump enough....you will have enough milk to nruse at home.

Theres no need for a fridge even, just an ice pack alone is fine for 24 hours for BM.  You can get a pump that is battery powered and pump anywhere or get a car adapter and pump in your car.  Though its not the best place, pumping in a bathroom is better than no breastmilk for your baby.

WHy are people cricticizing you breastfeeding?  EVERY ounce is one less of formula, every ounce is free, every ounce is full of immunities, growth hormones, and is ALIVE...did you know that BM contains DNA??

btw I work about 48 hours a week and my son is still nursint at 27 months, I pumped ro 19.5 months.  I am a teacher 5 days a week and work for a coffee shop the other day.  AT the coffee shop I found nursing before leaving having baby brought to me for my break 1/2 way through and nursing when I got home was enough and I didn't need to pump.  I got funny questions like why I couldn't just be normal and give my baby milk...uh duh I do MY milk...stupid men, and I was told well if hes getting a bottle when you work whats the point...

sassytasha
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 10:16 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Why feel stupid because you are doing the absolute best thing for your child?  I think people who don't even try to make it work are stupid, but thats my opinion...

Never let anyone make you feel wrong.

BFing isn't all or nothing, even if it wasn't possible to pump at work, pump when not at work, and nurse like crazy at home and yuo should do fine.  AND theres options of combination feedings when at work if you don't pump enough....you will have enough milk to nruse at home.

Theres no need for a fridge even, just an ice pack alone is fine for 24 hours for BM.  You can get a pump that is battery powered and pump anywhere or get a car adapter and pump in your car.  Though its not the best place, pumping in a bathroom is better than no breastmilk for your baby.

WHy are people cricticizing you breastfeeding?  EVERY ounce is one less of formula, every ounce is free, every ounce is full of immunities, growth hormones, and is ALIVE...did you know that BM contains DNA??

btw I work about 48 hours a week and my son is still nursint at 27 months, I pumped ro 19.5 months.  I am a teacher 5 days a week and work for a coffee shop the other day.  AT the coffee shop I found nursing before leaving having baby brought to me for my break 1/2 way through and nursing when I got home was enough and I didn't need to pump.  I got funny questions like why I couldn't just be normal and give my baby milk...uh duh I do MY milk...stupid men, and I was told well if hes getting a bottle when you work whats the point...

I thought mb they thought i would have to take a lot of time out of work to pump but i'm not forsure.  hopefully though they will come to deal with it.

CafeMom Tickers
jazzminesun
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 1:52 PM

I say don't listen to them, and bring it in anyway.  And contact your corporate office if you have to to see about a private place to pump that's not the bathroom.  They may let you do it in the manager's office instead.  I work in corporate in fast food and everyone here thought it was great that I bf and is really supportive, but then our founder was a very family oriented Catholic man, so this is a very family friendly place.  I am still pumping and my DD is 17 months old.  I plan to hold on until she's 2.  One other girl in my dept did it till her daughter was 4 even!

My2loves9809
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Here is a link on what states have laws in support of breastfeeding at work. I am one week away from sadly going baCk to work and being away from my 3 1/2 month old son. I too will be pumping at work and I know there will be whispers, but oh well my ds will be getting the BEST and thats ALL that matters! Good luck 2 u!

http://206.251.72.146/resources/laws.pdf

CafeMom Tickers
sassytasha
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Quoting jazzminesun:

I say don't listen to them, and bring it in anyway.  And contact your corporate office if you have to to see about a private place to pump that's not the bathroom.  They may let you do it in the manager's office instead.  I work in corporate in fast food and everyone here thought it was great that I bf and is really supportive, but then our founder was a very family oriented Catholic man, so this is a very family friendly place.  I am still pumping and my DD is 17 months old.  I plan to hold on until she's 2.  One other girl in my dept did it till her daughter was 4 even!

thank u very much that makes me feel a lot better

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)