Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ok i am 7 months pregnant and plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible which is starting to look like just the six weeks maternity leave.  I work in fast food and when i had made the comment about possibly bringing a pump to work i got a lot of giggles and what for questions.  i breastfeed my first born for about 9 months and the whole 5 months of it I was taking a pump to school and using the teachers restroom and fridge to do so.  but i don't think i've ever been made to feel so stupid in my life.  plus i am getting criticized for even thinking about bf bc it may not be for that long.  What would you do?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:03 PM
Replies (21-24):
sassytasha
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 11:49 PM

Quoting My2loves9809:

Here is a link on what states have laws in support of breastfeeding at work. I am one week away from sadly going baCk to work and being away from my 3 1/2 month old son. I too will be pumping at work and I know there will be whispers, but oh well my ds will be getting the BEST and thats ALL that matters! Good luck 2 u!

http://206.251.72.146/resources/laws.pdf

also thank u i seen in my state i can feed in public with out it being considered indecnetiy or however u spell it

CafeMom Tickers
riotgrrl
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Check the laws in your state. Most states have a law that ensures a mom's right to pump at work. Most of them state that your boss must provide you with a clean, private place and time to pump.

I would just deal with the giggles and do the best thing for me and my baby. I was working at a pizza dive when I had my oldest, and went back to work when he was eight weeks old. There were some giggly teenagers, and one young man who was really grossed out by me storing breastmilk in the cooler (which my boss told him to grow up and stuff it...) I just viewed it as an opportunity to educate them about breastfeeding and why it's the best thing you can do for your baby.

sassytasha
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:20 AM

Quoting riotgrrl:

Check the laws in your state. Most states have a law that ensures a mom's right to pump at work. Most of them state that your boss must provide you with a clean, private place and time to pump.

I would just deal with the giggles and do the best thing for me and my baby. I was working at a pizza dive when I had my oldest, and went back to work when he was eight weeks old. There were some giggly teenagers, and one young man who was really grossed out by me storing breastmilk in the cooler (which my boss told him to grow up and stuff it...) I just viewed it as an opportunity to educate them about breastfeeding and why it's the best thing you can do for your baby.

thanks alot.  i no my state says i can in public but when i looked it up it didn't say anything about pumping at work.  i've decided though to talk to corporate office and see if i could get anywhere with them

CafeMom Tickers
Mom2SavRynShai
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:54 PM

YES! This is exactly what I was going to say.

Quoting Philosowife:

You were met with giggles and criticism from your boss/supervisors???

That's just inappropriate and I'd call it discrimination.

Are there laws in your state that protect breastfeeding women in the workplace?  There is a law in my state that is just over a year old that GUARANTEES women working for companies over a certain number of employees the time and space to pump, as well as a place to store their expressed milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN