Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do I get my newborn to stay awake during feedings?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

Hi everyone, I am a brand new mommy, my little guy is 1 week old today and I have such a hard time keeping him awake when I feed him. I try to do things like switch sides, burp him, move him around, talk to him, tickle his feet, change his diaper in the middle of feedings, but sometimes nothing works.  Then if I don't get in a full feeding, he gets hungry a short time later and wants to feed again.  I know he is young but I am trying to get him in a routine.  Any suggestions?  Is he just too young and I just need to give him time?

by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissAndrea125
by on Jul. 24, 2009 at 11:48 PM

Yup just give him another week or so. My DD slept ALL THE TIME for the first couple weeks. I would have thought something was wrong with her, but I asked around on here and found that it is pretty normal. It only lasted a few weeks. Tickle feet, take off clothes, that sort of thing. Other than that, just let him be ♥

steph2884
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:04 AM

When I was in the hospital with my son, they told me to get him naked! (keep the daiper on of course!! :) The nurse also told me to rub his head, enough to annoy him but not enough to hurt him. Seemed to peeve him and get him to nurse!

sware86
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:10 AM

i rubbed my son's back. use your finger tips and just go up and down the baby's back. i think it annoys them but it got mine to wake up and he was a real sleepy baby what with the c-section drugs.... poor kid

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

connorlove
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:16 AM

I don't know what to tell you. My little monster was soo hard to keep awake to breastfeed. I tried moving his arms up and down, tickling his feet, talking to him, etc. Good luck.     :)

Ellen Martinez-Votre Vu Independent Consultant

• WAHM Cafe

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:56 AM

Quoting BabyBumbleBee:

Hi everyone, I am a brand new mommy, my little guy is 1 week old today and I have such a hard time keeping him awake when I feed him. I try to do things like switch sides, burp him, move him around, talk to him, tickle his feet, change his diaper in the middle of feedings, but sometimes nothing works. 

You're doing all the right things.

Then if I don't get in a full feeding, he gets hungry a short time later and wants to feed again. 

This is normal. Go with it. His tummy is tiny and he likely diod have a full feeding. But then it clears out qucikly and he will be hungry again soon. Normal normal normal.

I know he is young but I am trying to get him in a routine.  Any suggestions?  Is he just too young and I just need to give him time?

Yes. Give it time. FAR too early to expect anything but what he's doing. He'll do this sourt of thing for the first six weeks or so.

Ellysmom
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM

My DD was extremely hard to wake for about the first 2 weeks. I usually stripped her to her diaper as well as kept a damp washcloth near that I wiped her face with from time to time to wake her up. I also moved her arms around quite a bit to rouse her. Good luck! Give your DS another week or so and he will definitely be much more alert!

Txunicornlvr28
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 12:05 AM

my son does the same thing, he is 10 days old and we are getting close to a regular feeding schedual but he still sometimes sleeps for what i worry about being to long and also falls fast asleep by the time its time to switch sides. i use a wipey or damp cloth on his back or face and this makes him mad enought most of the time especialy if i blow on him after, our house is hot anyways so its not going to hurt him. just have patience, i have been told myself its normal And will clear up as he grows.

We are pressed on every side by troubles, But we are not crushed. we are perplexed, but not driven to dispair. we are hunted down, but never abandoned by god. we get knocked down but we are not distroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8,9(New Living Trnslation)Myspace GraphicsMyspace Graphics
BabyBumbleBee
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 12:10 AM

Thank you ladies!  I've been trying some of these things and they sometimes help... gue I just need to be patient!  :)

USMCBride08
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 12:13 AM

My son was the same way :) he had really really high bm jaundice though, so i couldnt let him sleep.. darn LOL

the nurses told me to strip him to a diaper, and (for him, at least) nurse in front of a sunny window.... that helped keep him awake and helped with his jaundice LOL i also changed his diaper before every feeding, but i see your doing that, so great job!!! GL mama, i miss those NB days     :( now i want another one and its only been 6 months!!!

ConGratS!!! 

QueenMama7808
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:21 AM

Do you detatch him when he falls asleep? Babies fall asleep during nursin cause they feel comfy and safe... my DD always falls asleep nursing. When she was tiny and she passed out every. single. feeding, she always continued to nurse in her sleep. I just waited until she "melted" off on her own rather than detatch her when she fell asleep, and it's never seemed like she doesn't get enough to eat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)