Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

latching tips

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM
  • 4 Replies

hello ladies, i have a quick question for all you experienced breastfeeders!  i breastfed my daughter but it's been quite some time and i'm having trouble remembering the latching techniques.  my cousin is having to try breastfeeding after having formula fed for the first 3 weeks.  her daughter is allergic to formula but is used to drinking from a bottle and now she simply can't get her to latch on.  i'm going over in a couple of days to try to show her how to latch her daughter on, but i can only speak from my own experience.  i was hoping you ladies could pass along some tips we can try while i'm there.   thanks everyone!

by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 25, 2009 at 12:58 AM

There are a whole bunch of images on breastfeeding.com.

First thing...brush baby's lips with the nipple in an up and down motion. When baby opens her mouth, shove the nipple in. Expect to unlatch and relatch frequently, to the point of insanity. Especially since baby is getting bottles.

beanerlynn22
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 1:07 AM

great tip, i forgot all about that, thanks!

cali4niachef
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 1:20 AM

When Latching

Latching video clips

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Student Midwife, doula, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
EuphoricBirthServices.com

katznkt
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 1:29 AM
cradle the baby close to the breast. When the baby is nice and alert. tickle the chin or cheek of the baby with the nipple held between the thumb and forefinger. When the baby's mouth opens wide (natural reaction) insert as much of the WHOLE nipple as possible.You want all of the colored part in the mouth. Then expect the first few min to hurt a little (at least for the first couple of days) but pain should subside pretty quickly. If it doesn't insert a pinky in the corner of the mouth and break the suction and try try again.

Since the baby probably has nipple confusion, DONT give in and give the bottle. When the baby is hungry enough it will take the nipple. In the mean time she should be expressing milk to build up her supply.

I know what it is like to have allergies. My daughter (we found out at 6 months, thankfully she had always been bf) was highly allergic to milk, soy, wheat, eggs to name a few. So, I had to breastfeed her almost exclusively for the first year. Now that she is 14 months and has more teeth she is starting to take in some solids, but we are still bf for calcium and the other nutrition she can't get.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)