Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping problems

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 3:03 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is turning one month old and I am getting ready to go back to work.  She is totally breastfed right now.  The only time I can get any milk to pump is first thing in the morning after I take a warm shower then I get about 1 1/2 oz-2oz on each side.  However, if I pump any other time of day whether she is nursing or even if they are leaking I barely get 1/2 oz out of both breasts combined.  When she was born I used the pump to come in and it worked great, I actually got too much milk to come in as I would get 6-7oz first thing in the morning and she was only a week old then.  My milk supply is great and I know there is milk in there but it wont come out anymore,  I cant take fengreek due to thyroid problems but I was wondering if there was something I could be doing wrong so I dont have to ask my doctor from Reglan again.

by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 3:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mom2Bria
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 7:15 PM

I don't think you have an issue with supply so why take a med that isn't needed.....Most women only get 1-2 oz per pumping session....pumping for most is an acquired skill...keep trying!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

Pumping when baby is nursing full time can mean getting NOTHING sometimes, getting what you are getting is great.

UP water, eat oatmeal, and pump for 5 minutes after every feeding.  When away from baby pumping will most likely go up, but not HUGE amounts.

Baby needs 1-1.25 oz an hour when you are away..and you canpump when off and on weekends if need be.

kparker75844
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 7:29 PM

Did you save any from the beginning? If so then I would use that, and not worry about pumping extra till you go to work.  Then you will just pump for the next day and be fine. If you don't have any saved then I would recommend pumping while baby is nursing.  Average is .5-2oz per session so I think you are doing fine.  You can combine pumpings btw.  Just make sure you combine milk that is the same temperature.  That way you can get enough.  I do recommend though that you only save in 2 or 3 oz bags, even my eleven month old does good to take more than four ounces at a time.  Trust me after all the work to save it you don't want you caregiver wasting any! LOL Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

Quoting weirdjojo:

My daughter is turning one month old and I am getting ready to go back to work.  She is totally breastfed right now.  The only time I can get any milk to pump is first thing in the morning after I take a warm shower then I get about 1 1/2 oz-2oz on each side. 

That's a LOT!

However, if I pump any other time of day whether she is nursing or even if they are leaking I barely get 1/2 oz out of both breasts combined. 

That *is* a normal amount...but what pump? It can make a difference.

When she was born I used the pump to come in and it worked great, I actually got too much milk to come in as I would get 6-7oz first thing in the morning and she was only a week old then. 

Yeah. IN the first week you'll get outrageous amounts. It settles as you regulate.

My milk supply is great and I know there is milk in there but it wont come out anymore,  I cant take fengreek due to thyroid problems but I was wondering if there was something I could be doing wrong so I dont have to ask my doctor from Reglan again.

I really suspect your pump.

weirdjojo
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 3:26 AM

The type of pump that I have is a Avent Isis and aside from the first thing in the morning I am lucky if I can pump .5 oz total even while I am feeding her.  However, I can put a cup under the other "side" and capture 1oz when I am feeding her so I must be doing something wrong with the way I pump.  I make sure that its got good suction and the nipple is probable centered, I can feel it trying to pull but I think my breasts just dont like it or something.  I may just use a cup to catch and freeze when I am feeding.  Maybe its the size of my breasts thats causing the problem.  Right now I think they are an F or E, I am normally a DD.

My2loves9809
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I have been getting the same results as you, but have learned this is all normal. I usually only get around 1 -1 1/2 oz total when I pump in between feedings. If i pump after I feed him I usually get 1oz total. I know it doesnt seem like much, but i treat every drop as liquid gold! :)just continue to bf and pump and you should have plenty. Hang in there mama your doing great!

CafeMom Tickers
weirdjojo
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the replies and advice.  I am sticking with it and hope the results will get better instead of the same dead end I had the last two times.  Already had better results this time so its not a total loss. : )

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:59 AM

The Isis is a marvelous pump, but for going back to work you either need two of those OR better yet, a good double electric. A single manual pump is a bit too time consuming.

Medela or Ameda make the best double electrics. No First Years, Evenlfo or Gerber.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN