Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ouch, he has teeth now, but he isn't biting (yet)

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM
  • 4 Replies

My 9 month old has 3 teeth.  Two on the bottom, and one on top, with more coming soon.  When he gets distracted while nursing (any little sound or movement or even nothing at all) he will stretch my nipple out to look around.  Sometimes he stretches and lets go, other times he does notlet go.  When he looks around he will scrape his bottom teeth on the underside of my nipple.  It is starting to get raw, and hurts like all hell.  It doesn't matter if we are in a room where no one else is, with lights dimmed, and music on (his perferred 'getting ready to nap' environment), or out in the back yard. 

How can I get him to stop scraping me, and is there anything other then Lansolin lotion that I can use to make my nipples heal?  I perfer to not wear a bra while at home (well really at all), and Lansolin soaks thru everything.

8 months and counting with my little boobie monster!!!

in lovebreastfeedinglistening to tunesplaying soccer girl

by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sweetmelissa451
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:36 PM

my son got teeth at three months lol...he is nine months old as well and has eight teeth...he does this same thing i dont use lanolin lotion except for at night and it helps alot....as for stopping it everyone told me to flick my sons cheek but i didnt have the heart so if he does it i tickle his toe or put a blanket over us while i feed...it may help just to be ready to unlatch him while he does this or giving him teething tablets or oragel before hand

Becca2020
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:40 PM

that part made me giggle a little... I had the same problem and every time he did it I would not let him eat anymore... Not for a long time like maybe 30 sec or so but it worked after about the 10th time. He would be all comfy and then bop there goes the boob.. Sometimes it would make him a little angry sometimes not and I would always tell him. "no don't that hurts mommy".. Hope this helps

Quoting nosborne:

My 9 month old has 3 teeth.  Two on the bottom, and one on top, with more coming soon.  When he gets distracted while nursing (any little sound or movement or even nothing at all) he will stretch my nipple out to look around.  Sometimes he stretches and lets go, other times he does notlet go.  When he looks around he will scrape his bottom teeth on the underside of my nipple.  It is starting to get raw, and hurts like all hell.  It doesn't matter if we are in a room where no one else is, with lights dimmed, and music on (his perferred 'getting ready to nap' environment), or out in the back yard. 

How can I get him to stop scraping me, and is there anything other then Lansolin lotion that I can use to make my nipples heal?  I perfer to not wear a bra while at home (well really at all), and Lansolin soaks thru everything.

hbarlow
by on Jul. 26, 2009 at 2:41 PM

My DD is 11 months old and started the same thing at about 8 months. What worked for us is I keep my pointer finger ready to break her latch at a moments notice. As soon as she turn her head or gets distracted, I stick my finger in the corner of her mouth, which comfortably breaks the latch. She get to peek at whatever she is peeking at, and when she wants to nurse, and ONLY nurse I let her back on.  She eventually got the point. If I ever get tender or raw on my nipple I just rub a little BM on it and let it air dry. If your LO is hurting you, do not continue to let them nurse while they are doing that. Make them stop, take a break. You shouldn't just sit there and suffer, they have to learn. She bit me once and I smacked her instantly and said no. (it was a knee jerk reaction) She hasn't done it again.

Good luck!

nosborne
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2009 at 8:29 AM

Quoting hbarlow:

My DD is 11 months old and started the same thing at about 8 months. What worked for us is I keep my pointer finger ready to break her latch at a moments notice. As soon as she turn her head or gets distracted, I stick my finger in the corner of her mouth, which comfortably breaks the latch. She get to peek at whatever she is peeking at, and when she wants to nurse, and ONLY nurse I let her back on.  She eventually got the point. If I ever get tender or raw on my nipple I just rub a little BM on it and let it air dry. If your LO is hurting you, do not continue to let them nurse while they are doing that. Make them stop, take a break. You shouldn't just sit there and suffer, they have to learn. She bit me once and I smacked her instantly and said no. (it was a knee jerk reaction) She hasn't done it again.

Good luck!

I will have to try that (the pointer finger).  I don't want him to not be curious about what is going on, I just don't want to get torn up in the process. 

I do have a couple necklaces that I use to keep his attention, but they don't always work.

WooHoo!!  We made it to 9 months of breastfeeding!!!

in lovebreastfeedinglistening to tunesplaying soccer girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN