Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

no let down when i pump

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM
  • 12 Replies

im having some big problems latly with pumping and afraid that its going to affect my supply. i cant get let down when im pumping which means i get like maybe 1oz of milk after pumping both breasts!! any ideas? i have a medela pump.

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steph2884
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:30 PM

I would sometimes have a hard time getting milk through the pump, unless I was engorged, then I would squirt across the room! Try relaxing before pumping. Try putting a warm wash cloth on the breast before pumping, or take a warm shower before. I've also heard that looking at a picture of your baby while pumping will also help.

MommaRoxanne
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM

Hi there!

The only way I ever got any milk from the pump is first thing in the morning, or if I had the baby on the other breast! 

My friend could never get anything with the electric pump, but got great results from a manual one!  Maybe try that? :)

jonezy
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:36 PM

wow thats strange.  i know there are some women who just cant pump but that wouldn't apply since you've been pumping.  hmm,  i know it sounds silly but have you tried turning the dial on the pump up?  are you pumping right after your baby nursed?  if your try waiting a lil bit after your LO nurses and try pumping.

ljsmamma07
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM

i cant really do the warm washcloth or shower thing cause im at work and i have a pic of baby and nothing. its slowly been getting worse and worse and today i have hardly gotten anything. my milk has never been very....flowing.lol.i dont know how to say it. i never got engorged this time and i go 10h at night without her eating usually cause she sleeps all night. and i just bought a manual and it doesnt hardly do anything.

Quoting steph2884:

I would sometimes have a hard time getting milk through the pump, unless I was engorged, then I would squirt across the room! Try relaxing before pumping. Try putting a warm wash cloth on the breast before pumping, or take a warm shower before. I've also heard that looking at a picture of your baby while pumping will also help.

ljsmamma07
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:39 PM

yep the dial on the pump is all the way up to the highest suction and im pumping at work so i usually pump every three hours.

Quoting jonezy:

wow thats strange.  i know there are some women who just cant pump but that wouldn't apply since you've been pumping.  hmm,  i know it sounds silly but have you tried turning the dial on the pump up?  are you pumping right after your baby nursed?  if your try waiting a lil bit after your LO nurses and try pumping.

Candi1024
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 2:44 PM

ugh, thats rough. I always think that letdown is like an orgasim, and it's 90% mental. The more you push for it the less likely you will have one. Have you been stressed out lately? Have you been drinking your water?

DragonRiderMD
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 3:07 PM

I only pumped with my son because he'd never take to the boob, and I never experienced let-down at all; the most I ever got was 3 oz total from both breasts, 15-20 mins on each. And same thing with my daughter for the first 10 days while she was in the hospital and I had no choice but to pump at home. I think it's a pumping thing. If you're still breastfeeding at home with no problems, then I'd say almost for sure it's a pumping thing. Don't know what you can do about it, though.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 27, 2009 at 3:44 PM

Quoting ljsmamma07:

yep the dial on the pump is all the way up to the highest suction and im pumping at work so i usually pump every three hours.

Turn it down. You might be beating yourself up a bit too much. **grin**

Start at a low level. And decide to be indifferent. If you get something, great. If you don't, you don't. Give yourself permission to not pump a drop. See, you're tensing up. So stop that. It really makes a difference.

Remember that half an ounce to two ounces is normal output for a session.

tennisgal
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM

I would take DS's blanket with me or something that smelled like him. I've heard of women recording their baby's on the cell phones and that helps them (like video or voice). But "smelling" him always helped me. I pumped at school and I would get stage fright if I heard someone else come into the bathroom.

kiario08
by on Jul. 27, 2009 at 3:50 PM

I wish I had some help. I never had issues with pumping unless i was engorged but then I would have to hand express some then pump. 

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)