Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

nurse to sleep or wake up hungry?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 7:43 AM
  • 7 Replies

Just curious if one is more common than the other.

DS has always had a routine during the daytime. He wakes up hungry, and after he eats he will play and be happy for a while, then he will get fussy and go down for a nap until the next feeding.

I always thought it seemed kind of backwards, because I was told to look for early hunger cues and that falling asleep is a sign of being full.

Now (at almost 4 months) he is starting to change his routine. He has been getting up at 5:30 and not eating until 7, and he's starting to wake up way before his late morning feeding too. The trouble is, he gets really cranky when he gets sleepy, and it makes nursing difficult. He won't stay latched on for more than a minute or two before he pulls off just to fuss. I've examined his mouth, no sign of thrush or teething. And it really only seems to be a problem when he's been awake for a while.

So... just wondering about others' experiences with nursing and naps with little ones.

Lilypie
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ajay1007
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 7:54 AM

My baby is only 2 1/2 months but I have noticed in the evening usually 7ish he is so tired he has a really hard time nursing.  I have just been giving breast milk in a bottle, well hubby has.  He usually takes an ounce or two and falls asleep until 9 or 10 when he nurses before bed.  I don't have much advice just saying I kind of have the same problem!  He doesn't do it all day just at night.  and he actually will scream while I'm trying to put him to breast.  Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:17 AM
Naps? Mine didn't nap. **grin** But both extremes are normal. SO is everything in between them.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:26 AM

Mine has always nursed before and after he sleeps.  He's19 months and still does.  My oldest did too.

MommyToSmeech
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 12:19 PM

My DD nurses so much at night she has decreased how often she will nurse during the day.  Most moms I think would prefer the sleep, but for me it's actually easier for me since I have more time to chase my other kiddo around and get errands taken care of.  My DD will nurse all night, at least every 3 hours, then wake up around 8:00-8:30, not want to nurse at all or nurse for just a minute or two when she wakes up, play for awhile, get tired and fussy, lay down for a nap, wake up and nurse (normally she nurses good this time around lunch because she has barely nursed since waking), then play, sometimes nurse before her second nap, sometimes not, lay down, wake up and nurse, etc.  So same scenerio.  The only time my DD nurses to sleep now is when we're getting ready to go to sleep for the night and all night.  The rest of the day she rarely nurses to sleep, only every once in awhile.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
elly25
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 1:14 PM

My daughter still likes her night time nip and morning booby session.In the morning she'll nurse for 30 minutes while I drink my morning cup of coffee.I guess that we both have it while we watch the news.Lol(please no bashing there)My son was a little piggy when he was a baby and toddler )He's now seven and off the boob for years now).He wanted it 24/7.Then when he found the world of the tippy cup.He would have both.His night time booby and then take a tippy cup of water to sleep with (my son dehydrates easy).He still wakes up for some water at night time.

elly25
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 1:17 PM

Sounds like my children as well.My son doesn't nurse anymore though.My daughter is the same age and a booby addict (lol.I always joke to my husband that she needs to go to booby anonymous meetings.Like an AA meeting,but for breast feeding children).I'm joking about the stuff in parenthesis and that she''s an addict to the boob.Sorry if I offended anybody reading this.

Quoting aehanrahan:

Mine has always nursed before and after he sleeps.  He's19 months and still does.  My oldest did too.

littlevic
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 9:25 PM

I always nurse Joel before a nap.  It's just part of our routine.  He doesn't fall asleep on the breast, but I figure it will help him take a better nap if he fills up right before.  That way he doesn't have to wake up out of hunger.  He likes to nurse as soon as he wakes up as well.  I'm pretty flexible about it.  I used to think I should only nurse him if he was truly hungry (because that's what some books say - but Joel never read those books), but now I think that's silly and I just feed him when he wants it. 

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)