Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

going away - while breast feeding?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM
  • 3 Replies

for my birthday my husband wants to take me to London for 3 days.. my son will be 11 months old by then but i still plan on breast feeding.. is that possible?? my mother and father in law would be taking care of my child for 2 nights and 3 days... is there a way to do that to keep my supply while im gone? can he just have frozen milk while im gone? should i pump while im gone? or should i just cancel the plan? has anyone delt with this before?

by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 2:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM

Yep frozen milk should be fine, or even if you have some fresh he can have some of that too...it can be in the fridge 5-8 days.

Make sure to pump while gone...sucks but if you wanna nurse on return you gotta maintain supply...may end up dumping the milk but you can save the last 24 hours in a bag with an ice pack though.

Take a battery powered pump or manual and pump every 3 hours and you sould be fine...now when you return baby may or may not give you issues...but theres ways to work around that

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 3:01 PM
I went away for a week while my middle son was 7mos. I brought my trusty Medela Pump In Style with, and use it as much as I could, and left frozen BM in the freezer for him. I came home and we continued nursing for another seven months.

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Quoting MrsNocke:

for my birthday my husband wants to take me to London for 3 days..

Three days? THAT is the tough part! Three days isn't enough! **grin**

my son will be 11 months old by then but i still plan on breast feeding.. is that possible??

Absolutely! Been there done that.

my mother and father in law would be taking care of my child for 2 nights and 3 days... is there a way to do that to keep my supply while im gone?

Take a manual pump on the plane and pump under a blanket. Pump every couple of hours throughout your trip.

can he just have frozen milk while im gone? should i pump while im gone? or should i just cancel the plan? has anyone delt with this before?

No need to cancel. Not at all! He can have frozen milk while you're gone.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)