Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I think she has an intolerance to milk

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM
  • 4 Replies

My three week old is a really content baby most of the time but I have noticed in the last couple days she has been fussy, gassy and spitting up more often.

I am thinking it may be that she has an intolerance to milk, I have been drinking more milk then normal in the last couple days.

Anyone else had this problem and how do I tell if that is what it is?

I am going to stop drinking milk for a couple days and see what happens but other then that I have no idea.

~Whitney~ Married to my best friend, Breastfeeding, Cosleeping, Non Vaccinating,  Baby wearing , Christian Mama to Alexzander 4-18-06 Destiny 8-04-07 and   Kairi 7-09-09  

by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 10:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
joyvanhalen
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:02 PM
Consuming dairy can def cause fussiness. I would just cut it out of your diet, and keep eliminating things until you notice a difference. Also caffeine can cause upset bellies. Whenever I drink more than one cup of coffee a day my ds gets an upset tummy.
wjwalters
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM

I don't drink a lot of caffine in a day, I cut that down when I had my first child and just never started drinking a lot of it again. I do make lattes at home with my espresso machine but I use a half caff espresso blend. I will have to try drinking soy instead.

ShadowLark
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:07 PM

Yeah, and watch out for hidden dairy - it's in EVERYTHING.  The good news is, you take it out for a month, then drink milk or eat cheese or whatever as a challenge.  If nothing happens, it wasn't the dairy and you can eat it again.  If she reacts, then you keep it out of your diet but try again when she's six months old and again at a year old.  Some babies just outgrow it.  GL!

jamie2386
by on Jul. 30, 2009 at 11:13 PM

look up lactose overload. my baby did the same thing, and that is what was wrong with him. his ped said to try giving him a bottle or two a day of similac sensitive formula. i dont think she believed me when i told her that is what was wrong, but  the first day i noticed a dramatic change, and he was happy and normal again. now he is three months old and does just fine with only having breastmilk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN