Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pumping question

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM
  • 4 Replies

so i just pumped for about 10 minutes. it had been a couple hours since babies last feeding.  i got 3 oz out of the left and 1.5 oz out of the right.  it's always like that.  the left always produces more.  why is that?  and should i do something to increase supply in the right?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
piwife
by on Jul. 31, 2009 at 2:48 PM

i know pumping 2oz is normal and is not s sign of supply problem. am weird i pump for 10 mts and get 6-8oz between both breast but again am weird.

I am a feed your baby what you want, public bf supported,pro-life,pro immigration, lover of animals. co-sleeping ,vaccinating, gun supporter, colombain girl in love with a us. marine (aka my hubby' mistress)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Jul. 31, 2009 at 2:49 PM

It is completely normal for each breast to produce different amounts.  You don't need to do anything unless you want to.  By the way, that is A LOT of milk to get in one pumping session!  : D

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2009 at 3:17 PM

I have found that the breast I last used for nursing produces less when I pump.

In the mornings, if I nurse my daughter on the right before leaving for work, I will get six ounces from the left and about 3 ounces from the right. VERY lopsided. :)

Rest assured, though, that 1 to 2 ounces is the norm when pumping. You're doing just fine. To increase your supply, drink lots of water, eat oatmeal and take Fenugreek.

nosborne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2009 at 10:29 AM

I've been pumping every workday for about the past 7 months, and I almost always pump 2x the amoount on my right side.  You will always have 1 side that produces less (generally the one least perfered by baby).  I did try to increase my left side a while back by pumping that side after DS nursed, but I never got it up much.  I gave up since I was producing enough without having that side increased.  It really was only because sometimes I was extremely lopsided. 

Now I just wear padded bras and the padding mostly evens me out.  LOL!!

WooHoo!!  We made it to 9 months of breastfeeding!!!

in lovebreastfeedinglistening to tunesplaying soccer girl

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)