Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Problem with the latch i guess.

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM
  • 6 Replies

I need some help. I am at three weeks and 1 day breastfeeding and I thought we had it down. Now it seems like we don't. It seems like I get my baby latched properly and then it feels like she is pinching me. And when I break the latch my nipple is creased like its been pressed flat. And I am getting bruising again and way too much friction when she nurses. I need some advice. I keep trying to take her off and put her back on properly, but it seems like I can't get it right no matter what. Please help if you can.

by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 1:07 PM

Have you tried different positions? This seemed to help me some.

juliebulie
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 1:25 PM

I have tried the "Cross-Cradle" and my DH's favorite, "The Football" hold.

It doesn't seem to allieviate the pinching.  It's rather frustrating.

NoraDun
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM

Are you making sure she hads her mouth wide when she is latched on and are you keeping your nipple pointed torward the top of her mouth?

I am a Jesus loving, breastfeeding, TTCing, cosleeping, mother of two boys:Xavier 4 , Malachi 9 mn, and married to my wonderful husband, Quentin for 4.5 years!!

toddler boybreastfeeding  Stay on "The Up & Up" in my group:  http:/www.cafemom.com/group/upandup

"Your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalms 139:16

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Quoting juliebulie:

I have tried the "Cross-Cradle" and my DH's favorite, "The Football" hold.

It doesn't seem to allieviate the pinching.  It's rather frustrating.

Laying down always worked for us too---plus, it's relaxing.

juliebulie
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 1:50 PM

Ok so here is my update.

I tried making sure the nipple is pointed toward the top of her mouth and trying to get her to open her mouth wide before she gets on. The only problem I have with that is that she lunges at me before I can get the nipple lined up with her. So anyway. It seems to be helping with the pinching some. But I still have bruising on my nipples. I'm hoping that things will get better.

Oh and I have been trying the laying down. But I can't figure out how to get her latched on when I'm laying down. It's hard enough with two hands and when I'm laying down I only have one hand. So any tips on that would be helpful too.

kclarsh
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM

Quoting juliebulie:

Ok so here is my update.

I tried making sure the nipple is pointed toward the top of her mouth and trying to get her to open her mouth wide before she gets on. The only problem I have with that is that she lunges at me before I can get the nipple lined up with her. So anyway. It seems to be helping with the pinching some. But I still have bruising on my nipples. I'm hoping that things will get better.

Oh and I have been trying the laying down. But I can't figure out how to get her latched on when I'm laying down. It's hard enough with two hands and when I'm laying down I only have one hand. So any tips on that would be helpful too.

lay on your side with baby on their side next to you with face next to boob.  I put my head on a pilow onmy arm and bend my sarm so my hand is at my boob for extra hep -so if I pick my head up it woud rest on my wrist.....I know too confusing when trying to explain it.  And it gets easier as they get bigger

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN