Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I wrong to stop breast feeding

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

My son is not even a month old and I have already stopped breast feeding. I was talking to my mom the other day about the fact that my son started to throw up after every meal wether or not i burbed him she told me its possibly because he was being fed three different types of liquid a day (water, baby formula, and my milk) I dnt wat to stop giving him water because i want him to get used to eat and as for the bottle I have to start school in october so he will need to get used to the bottle anyway for when Im not around. not to mention its a total hassle to get him to drink from me at time because he fights me and at times he wont even open his mouth until it i give him his bottle. did I make the right decision or am i jus being lazy.

by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
maderacaligirl
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:52 PM

IMO I think you should do whatever your comfortable doing, I don't think it's wrong of you to stop since it's your baby. I'm thinking about quiting because each feeding makes me scream in pain. She has had a lot of formula today because I just can't nurse her with out being in so much pain. But I may be wrong but I don't think it's healthy for babies to have water untill they are 6 months...but I could be wrong, because that's just what I was told.

ILoveMyFam
by Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:57 PM

Well

A. babies at that age do not need water, all they need is breastmilk/formula

B. babies spit up/throw up, it happens, my b-fed baby was really pukey for a couple weeks in the beginning but now at 3 months is fine

C. if you pumped you could give your baby breastmilk in the bottle instead of formula

But after that was said, you need to do what's best for you and your baby at the end of the day, formula feeding certainly doesn't make you a bad mom.

piwife
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM

why are you given your 1 mth old water?

I am a feed your baby what you want, public bf supported,pro-life,pro immigration, lover of animals. co-sleeping ,vaccinating, gun supporter, colombain girl in love with a us. marine (aka my hubby' mistress)
Mama2Noah07
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM

DO NOT give your 1 month old water anymore! It can cause water intoxication and can be deadly. It's really a bad idea!

My son spit up TONS and he was formula fed. He was gaining lots of weight though, so I didn't worry. Some babies just spit up a lot.

~*~Christine~*~ SAHM to Noah (12/07) and Little Bean (8/09)

What if someone told you there was a very simple way to keep your child 5x safer
and protected from the #1 killer of children? Wouldn't you want to know what
it was? I'll tell you:
KEEP YOUR CHILD REAR-FACING AS LONG AS POSSIBLE!
Learn more at the Car Seat Safety Group!
http://www.cafemom.com/group/5739
*Your child's life depends on it! Forward-Facing at age 1 is not a milestone! It puts
your child in danger! Watch this video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psmUWg7QrC8

rylies_mommy09
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:07 PM

My son is only two weeks old and he wont latch on and plus it is really hard to bf him so I pump when I can and give it to him. But the majority of the time he gets formula. My fiance wants to take part in the feedings so that is why I started to pump and also give formula.

I think whatever you are comfortable doing is the right thing. Some moms are not comfortable bf. But I do have to ask why are you giving your baby water?

~All you need is faith, trust, and a little pixie dust~

Jade812
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I am a firm believer in to each their own. I may not like what you posted but, if you are comfortable with that then more power to you.at the end of the day I am not raising your baby. now weather or not you are being lazy is something you have to judge.

I personally only breastfed. I worked and went to school when James was 4 months old and still found a way to nurse exclusively. I went home on my breaks to nurse I also pumped and by the time I got home my son had only missed one feeding. that's just how I functioned. I am very proud that I did that for my son. I know not very many mother's are willing to go that far but, everyone is different.

If you want to breastfeed you will. it's that simple. if you don't want to no one is going to throw you under a bus. you have 3 more months before you have to even start thinking about giving a bottle. just nurse if you want and at this point your baby does not need water and the more bottles you give the more confused your baby will become and the less breast milk you will make.

I think it's time for you to choose the route you will be going. this group is here to support you in your choice to breastfeed their are thousands of women in this group ready to give you the support and information you need to successfully breastfeed your baby. 

Pregnant In Central Florida? Need a DOULA? Click here for my Services.

Natural Birthing,Breastfeeding,Co-Sleeping,Cloth Diapering,EARTH MAMA

combingbutterfly on headtoddler boybaby boy

doulala
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:12 PM

Water is unsafe for infants, this should be avoided.   Whether you choose to bottle or breast feed is up to you, but the vomiting issue might have nothing to do with nursing.  If you want more info & encouragement, you can know that it's very possible to continue breastfeeding for a while longer and later introduce a bottle (with breast milk and/or formula).  

So I don't encourage capable moms to cease breastfeeding, but I certainly understand we do what we think is best in the moment.   If you'd like more help you are in the right place, mama! 

Best wishes!!  :-)

• We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
  • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
  • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:16 PM

STOP giving your baby water. There's NO NEED.

Your baby is probably fussing at the breast now because of nipple preference. Bottles flow A LOT faster than the breast does. The baby has to work at the breast to get milk out. My suggestion on that is to find the SLOWEST flow nipple you can (I personally like the Breastflow bottles..but that's just me. It's shaped more like a breast and flows really slowly). Until you get your nursing relationship back though, I'd feed baby with a medicine dropper or cup feed your baby. Or possibly get a SNS (supplemental nursing system) so your baby will start to like the breast again.

The first six weeks are the hardest time when breastfeeding. Sometimes it's easy, but sometimes (most) it's hard. Not one of us can tell you if you did the 'right thing' or declare you as 'lazy' because in YOUR heart, if you think this is best for your baby, then it's best for your baby. You CAN do this though, if you want. Breastfeeding a lot of the time has to do with motivation and dedication.

I'm going to school full-time and my DD has not had an ounce of formula. But, that's because I will not allow it. You need to be more stubborn than he is when you feed him from the breast. Let him scream and fuss at you while you're trying to feed him, he needs to get used to the nipple again (if that's what you're wanting to do...continue breastfeeding). He will not starve himself.

Good luck with whatever you choose. YOU are not a bad mother for not continuing breastfeeding if that's what you so choose. But again, only YOU can decide whether or not you're doing the best thing for your baby.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

spamica
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:19 PM

If breastfeeding doesn't work for then formula feed but PLEASE  DO NOT GIVE YOU BABY WATER!!  It is very dangerous at that age.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:20 PM

To begin. Only the woman in your mirror can answer your title question, so go talk it over with her.

We can answer any concerns you have, however.

Quoting Bubby1989:

My son is not even a month old and I have already stopped breast feeding. I was talking to my mom the other day about the fact that my son started to throw up after every meal wether or not i burbed him she told me its possibly because he was being fed three different types of liquid a day (water, baby formula, and my milk)

Oh, yes. NO WATER, please. That runs the risk of water intoxication which cna be deadly. Babies need ONLY breastmilk or formula, never water.

Next step woiuld be to determine when the spitting up started. From the beginning, or when formula was introduced? How long has formula been in the picture.

I dnt wat to stop giving him water

YOU MUST.

because i want him to get used to eat

He's got LOADS of time for that. Forget htat, OK? ALL children get used to eating.

and as for the bottle I have to start school in october so he will need to get used to the bottle anyway

He can take a sippy, too. Yes, even at this age. It just needs to be tipped for the baby. You'd be holding a bottle anyway.

for when Im not around. not to mention its a total hassle to get him to drink from me at time because he fights me and at times he wont even open his mouth until it i give him his bottle.

He has nipple preference.

did I make the right decision or am i jus being lazy.

ONLY YOU CAN ANSWER THAT QUESTION. We will not.

I will say that you're uninformed about the hazards opf water for babies. Dump the water.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)