Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Can I make milk again after being "dried up" for 2 weeks?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM
  • 4 Replies

I will try to not make this long...but thanks for any advice ladies! :o)

My son is going on 7 weeks old...I also have a 2 year old daughgter also who I breastfed for 6 months...Wish I could have made it longer, but didn't. Not beating myself up for it.....My son was born via c-section and had bad jaudice for the first few weeks. He ate pretty much around the clock, and I was breastfeeding the whole time...after my hubby went back to work, things got crazy at home with the 2 kids, I was exhausted and tired and found it super hard to sit through my son taking 45 mins to eat every hour....so I started pumping! I know. Big mistake...but i'll say, him taking a bottle of breastmilk was a heck of a lot easier for me and his feedings weren't as drawn out as they were from the breast! As the days went on, i ended up supplementing with formula and noticed he gained weight faster and also was a lot "happier" most times....well, my pumping sessions dwindled out...my fault...it just got easier to give him formula and to use the milk that I had stored in the freezer....He never nursed well enough for me to be okay with nursing from the breast....I am okay with him taking it from the bottle...but I am now not really getting much milk if I try to pump (and I'm not pumping on a set schedule as I should)...So here is my question....

I would love to be able to give him at least SOME breastmilk...I know most people say NO FORMULA..but i'm okay with it...I just need help on getting some milk back so I can at least give him a serving a day of breastmilk...something is better than nothing, right? I respond well to a pump, but not sure if I should be taking supplements to help regain milk....Should I set a schedule or just pump when I can?

by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I still had milk two years after my oldest weaned, so I'm sure you still have milk now after only two weeks after stopping pumping.  If you want to increase your supply, you need to create the demand.  Yes, pump as much as you can, take the herbs and I suggest trying to get your baby to the breast.  That is the best way to increase supply.

JamiHartley
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM

thank u! I was thinking of actually possibly trying him at breast tonight while the house is quiet since my 2 year old will be in bed...at least we can have some peace and quiet! i'll see what happens...and in the meanwhile i guess i'll get the pump out first thing in the morning :o)

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 2, 2009 at 10:14 PM

In answer to your title question, unless you had your breasts surgically removed, YES. Even if it was two MONTHS. Two weeks? Pish. Nothing to even worry about. Thought you'd have a HARD question. **grin**

Quoting JamiHartley:

I will try to not make this long...but thanks for any advice ladies! :o)

My son is going on 7 weeks old...I also have a 2 year old daughgter also who I breastfed for 6 months...Wish I could have made it longer, but didn't. Not beating myself up for it.....

Yep. Forget about it.

My son was born via c-section and had bad jaudice for the first few weeks. He ate pretty much around the clock, and I was breastfeeding the whole time...after my hubby went back to work, things got crazy at home with the 2 kids, I was exhausted and tired and found it super hard to sit through my son taking 45 mins to eat every hour....so I started pumping! I know. Big mistake...

It happened. Forget about it.

but i'll say, him taking a bottle of breastmilk was a heck of a lot easier for me and his feedings weren't as drawn out as they were from the breast! As the days went on, i ended up supplementing with formula and noticed he gained weight faster and also was a lot "happier" most times....well, my pumping sessions dwindled out...

As I would expect but it means NOTHING. Pump output never ever ever means a thing., There are moms who can feed twins and triplets but never get a drop for a pump. So once again...forget about it.

my fault...it just got easier to give him formula and to use the milk that I had stored in the freezer....He never nursed well enough for me to be okay with nursing from the breast....I am okay with him taking it from the bottle...but I am now not really getting much milk if I try to pump (and I'm not pumping on a set schedule as I should)...So here is my question....

I would love to be able to give him at least SOME breastmilk...I know most people say NO FORMULA..but i'm okay with it...I just need help on getting some milk back so I can at least give him a serving a day of breastmilk...something is better than nothing, right? I respond well to a pump, but not sure if I should be taking supplements to help regain milk....Should I set a schedule or just pump when I can?

PUT HIM TO BREAST. Right now. Forget pumping. PUT HIM TO BREAST. And don't worry about making him HAPPY. THat's NOT your job. Your job is to do your best by him.

Pumping will be MUCH harder than putting him to breast. So put him to breast.

Read the kellymom.com article on getting baby back to the breast.

audreybreier
by on Aug. 3, 2009 at 11:15 AM
Yes, you can get milk back! I did it with my first son. I stopped BFing for 2 weeks and I felt awful about it, so I got a good pump and started pumping every 1 1/2 hours for 20 minutes at a time. I would also try to nurse him but it took me a while to get him to nurse again because he had gotten used to bottles. Anyway, I also used fenugreek and mothers milk tea and pumped often. It worked and I was able to get my son off of formula completely.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)