Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

What do you store breastmilk in?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm a first time mom with a little guy who will be 3 weeks old on Friday.  I've been breastfeeding this whole time and was thinking of starting to pump.  We're probably going to start introducing a bottle after he is a month old.  My question is if I want to start pumping and freezing breastmilk, what do I store it in?  Are there special bags or bottles you store it in?  I'm using a Medela Swing Pump.  It has 2 small bottles and it says you can store milk in them but I would kind of like to build up a supply.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:28 PM

Breastmilk Storage Bags. They're made by Gerber, Lansinoh, Dr. Brown's, Medela.

Here's some info on storing breastmilk as well:

http://kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkstorage.html

Congratulations on the birth of your new baby boy!

piesmum
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:34 PM

yip and you can buy the bags at the supermarket, target, anywhere that has baby stuff :)

legalmom343
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:36 PM

We use Lansinoh bags.  Eli uses a Playtex nurser bottle at daycare so they just drop the bags into the bottle and they're good to go :)

scotlynsmom07
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I used to use those storage bags but you go through them so fast. Or at least I did and they're expensive. I ended up using Walmar freezer bags. I bought the quart and gallon size and stored the milk in the quart and then put that in the gallon in case of a leak. then lay them flat in the freezer until frozen and there ya go! 32oz. of flat breastmilk. Good luck. just make sure you get freezer and not sandwich!

I'm a 23 yr old, Mom of a 2 yr old, BF for 13 months, Vaxing, SAHM, Pro-choice, Pro-Gay marriage because everyone deserves equal rights, baby wearing, try to be green, ARMY WIFE, Anti- CIO, Anti-Co-Sleeping, Time out giving, Tattooed, Dr. Pepper loving, Twilight Obsessed, Husband loving, Can't wait for naptime kind of a mom.

lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2009 at 2:05 PM

Quoting scotlynsmom07:

I used to use those storage bags but you go through them so fast. Or at least I did and they're expensive. I ended up using Walmar freezer bags. I bought the quart and gallon size and stored the milk in the quart and then put that in the gallon in case of a leak. then lay them flat in the freezer until frozen and there ya go! 32oz. of flat breastmilk. Good luck. just make sure you get freezer and not sandwich!

I was wondering if this would work. I used the breastmilk storage bags with my first, but they're crazy expensive! And, they're virtually a zip lock bag....did you ever have problems with leaking, or with your milk being freezer burnt? I'm going to have to do some more looking into this, because it would save a ton of money!

BabyBumbleBee
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Thanks ladies!

mommaslilman06
by on Aug. 4, 2009 at 3:00 PM

there are several things to store milk in, plastic bottles, glass bottles and storage bags (my favorite are lasinosh) i prefer bags since i can freeze them laying down which makes it easier to thaw later

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers        PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Gruntlings
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 7:00 PM

Breast milk storage bags make it easiest. You can freeze them flat and they take up less room. I stored them in a plastic shoebox. Lansinoh bags are great, but they're made of a more rigid type of plastic  (that contains fewer chemicals) and they can leak sometimes when they are thawed if they're not treated well while frozen. So if you use them and notice leaking, just thaw them out in a ziplock bag or something to make sure no milk is lost.

Not to be a pest or second-guess your decisions, but the recommendation is to wait until 6 weeks before introducing a bottle or a pacifier. This makes sure that your milk supply is more established (using bottles can decrease supply), and it also makes sure that breastfeeding is well established and that the baby is less likely to get nipple confusion.

Just wanted to make sure you had that information. :)

katiemomNY
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 10:39 PM
I use the Medela bags. They're BPA-free and double layered to prevent smells from the freezer from getting into the milk.
NIKKIJO4
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

i use the storage bags!!! they freeze great!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)