Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

let down is too fast, baby is gulping and coughing

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 9:38 PM
  • 12 Replies
This is my first child, I started out breast feeding and getting a direct latch.. I have flat nipples and the started to get sore and cracked... so I went to the nipple shield. Then struggled to get a direct latch once they were healed up again. The last 2 days he has latched directly at every feeding, how ever I am still using the shield for late nite feedings as my nipples can't go cold turkey and survive. So i am easing the transition a little. but now I have a let down that is too fast and sometimes too much milk from the "new" stimulation sensation of the direct latch as compared to the shield. My son ends up unlatching 4 or five times to catch his breath and is starting cough as well as swallowing air. He has to chug to keep up. I am afraid he is going to aspirate it into his lungs and choke.... I have tried to pump some off before, but that has only increased my supply.... something I do not need more of... I know some women have problems in the other direction, but I was curious to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions.... Also both of us are COVERED in milk by the end of the feeding, gross and sticky...
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imthemama0608
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 9:43 PM

Been there, done that!!  lol.. its really messy in the beginning until your supply regulates!!  i was going to suggest pumping before hand, or even hand expressing some....  i had that same problem.... good luck!!! 

***I am an Anti Circumcision, Pro Breastfeeding/Pro Extended Breastfeeding, Extended Rear Facing, Delaying/Selective Vaxing, Cloth Diapering, anti CIO kind of Mama to 2 Beautiful Toddlers, Kaitlyn *4/9/06* and Michael *3/19/08* and loving every minute of it***

Amy614
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 10:15 PM

Not sure what to tell you about easing your let down; tho pp is right- it will ease up in time, as your body and your LO adjsut.  But I wanted to suggest small towels or receiving blankets to soak up the excess milk that is giving you and LO a bath with each feeding.  I had an active let down also, and tucking a folded blanket between DS and I helped soak things up so there wasn't nearly as much mess to take care of.

RobynS
by on Aug. 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM

My LO starting sleeping through the night a lot earlier than I expected her to, and I would wake up really full. By the time she nursed, we had the same messy, sticky, problem--she was coughing and kept having to stop because the milk came so fast.

For a while, I would get up before she awoke and pump--just enough to take some of the pressure off. I built up a small supply of milk that I use now to make her cereal with. Haven't had to pump in several weeks now.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:20 AM

Quoting shadyangel42:

This is my first child, I started out breast feeding and getting a direct latch.. I have flat nipples and the started to get sore and cracked... so I went to the nipple shield. Then struggled to get a direct latch once they were healed up again. The last 2 days he has latched directly at every feeding, how ever I am still using the shield for late nite feedings as my nipples can't go cold turkey and survive.
You might look for breast shells. They're worn between feedings and work very well to draw the nipple out.
So i am easing the transition a little. but now I have a let down that is too fast and sometimes too much milk from the "new" stimulation sensation of the direct latch as compared to the shield. My son ends up unlatching 4 or five times to catch his breath and is starting cough as well as swallowing air. He has to chug to keep up. I am afraid he is going to aspirate it into his lungs and choke....
VERY common. Your solution is to change nursing positions. We moms with overactive letdown cannot use any position that puts baby UNDER the breast in any way. Instead, baby needs to be on top. Which usually means sitting slouched back and plopping baby OVER you tummy to tummy. Baby's mouth is on top of the nipple.
I have tried to pump some off before, but that has only increased my supply.... something I do not need more of... I know some women have problems in the other direction, but I was curious to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions.... Also both of us are COVERED in milk by the end of the feeding, gross and sticky...

There are pictures of alternate nursing positions on kellymon.com....search the site for "fast letdown" and you'll find them.

shadyangel42
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 6:09 AM
thank you everyone!
CuriousNGL
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 7:42 AM

GREAT resource page on LLLI website: Oversupply

Helped me with the same problem. Good luck!

Open-minded, non-judgmental, homebirthing, breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, cloth diapering, babywearing, selectively vaccinating part-time RN, full-time "go-with-the-flow" mama to Avery (2 months) and loving wife to Michael.

sweatmak
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 11:39 AM

My dr also told me to sit in a recliner, Recline back for the let down.  This will help with the gravity issue.  It helped not a ton and it was awkard for me

Mom to Wyatt David and Owen William toddler boy   baby gift

greenbean4
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 12:03 PM

Had this problem for weeks!  My LO was having so much trouble and he was so upset!  I did block feeding for almost a month.  Try pulling baby off when you feel the let down and catch it in a burp cloth.  That seemed to help me a little but the best rememdy was time.  I'm still a sprinkler system some days but my LO has adjusted and his chugging skill are stellar! :)

bre7137
by on Aug. 7, 2009 at 2:06 AM

lol - i had a very fast let down too and my dd would choke and cough, but after a short amount of time (maybe a week or so) she got used to it and it stopped being a problem....she got used to the fast flow and was fine with it :)

moscowroza
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 12:30 AM

I have had the same problem with a fast letdown. Are your breasts the same? My right breast seemed to be a little bit slower, so I fed from the right most of the time and pumped the left. I also tried to hand express a little bit until the initial letdown to let the fast milk out. Plus, babies benefit from hindmilk which is a fatty part of your milk (foremilk has too much sugar which causes colic because babies don't have enough enzymes to process it). Don't worry, your body will eventually regulate the supply. I used to pump between 6-8 ounces per breast, now it is just enough for my 11 month old to satisfy his hunger (I am still trying to make him eat solids).

Make sure you are burping your baby before latching back on. It will help with the colic and spitting up. Also, over time your baby will stretch your nipples out. I have one inverted nipple and my son is a pro now at breastfeeding on both sides. It gets easier, just keep it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)