Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

breastfeeding in jail? lol

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this

So from time to time I wonder stuff that is well, super odd. I don't know why I just do. Anywho if a breastfeeding mom goes to jail/prison do they have breast pumps? I know that sometime, somewhere a breastfeeding mother has committed a crime that had landed them in jail/prison and I just wonder will they just leave you in a cell and let you get engorged or do they have breast pumps? Sorry weird I know. This had been bothering me since my mom told me that there were pregnant people in jail.

by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LKRA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:28 PM

This is probably a horrible thing to say but, if a woman is in jail, I doubt that her main concern in life is to provide her child with the best nutrition possible. Even if there WERE breast pumps in prison, would any of the women ASK for them?

misssy2000
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:29 PM

hmmm I don't think so you can go to jail for some really stupid stuff. I bet lots of moms in jail would love the opportunity to still bf.

Quoting LKRA:

This is probably a horrible thing to say but, if a woman is in jail, I doubt that her main concern in life is to provide her child with the best nutrition possible. Even if there WERE breast pumps in prison, would any of the women ASK for them?

CAgirl1214
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LKRA:

i kind of have to agree.  I'm sure it's not ALWAYS the case, but in the rare occasion that it's not, i'm sure they could make some kind of arrangements, but they'd probably have to press the issue like crazy.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:31 PM

Theres a lady on babycenter.com that is IN prison for 6 months and took her daughter who was a newborn when she started her term withher.  If a mom gives birth in prison and is serving a short sentence they let the baby stay many times so that mom can breastfeed.  I was shocked but she said its common that moms in prison will BF so that they can keep their babies out of the system(foster care).

As far as pumping, I bet a mom could request it, they have to give medications to moms in prison and the provide other "equiptment" like work out stuff....why not pumps?  Its considered medical equiptment.

misssy2000
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:33 PM

awl that makes me sad there are so many people who go to jail for silly things. Like not paying parking ticket, immigration issues, shop lifting(bad but doesn't make you a horrible person. I would think tht women in jail can love there children and want to give them the best just like me and you.

Quoting CAgirl1214:

Quoting LKRA:

i kind of have to agree.  I'm sure it's not ALWAYS the case, but in the rare occasion that it's not, i'm sure they could make some kind of arrangements, but they'd probably have to press the issue like crazy.

misssy2000
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM

OMG!!!! THere are babies in jail/prison. Wow, thats super cool!!!! Okay nor really but its nice to know.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Theres a lady on babycenter.com that is IN prison for 6 months and took her daughter who was a newborn when she started her term withher.  If a mom gives birth in prison and is serving a short sentence they let the baby stay many times so that mom can breastfeed.  I was shocked but she said its common that moms in prison will BF so that they can keep their babies out of the system(foster care).

As far as pumping, I bet a mom could request it, they have to give medications to moms in prison and the provide other "equiptment" like work out stuff....why not pumps?  Its considered medical equiptment.

riotgrrl
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:35 PM

Depends on the jail. Some jails have facilities where a mom can have her newborn with her for periods of time. Mostallow pumps and transport of breastmilk to the infant. If not, the mom can get a shot at the delivery which will dry up her milk before it comes in so she doesn't have to go through engorgement. I wish I didn't know so much about this but my SIL was incarcerated when she had my niece and we all tried very hard to help her be able to provide my niece with breastmilk.

MrMowhawksMommy
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:40 PM

i saw a special on TV about this once. They have special jails with a nursery in them and moms can keep their baby in their till they turn 12 months or until they get out. I don't think they do it everywhere though. My mom was in prison with a couple pregnant ladies and one had the baby and had to give it up to a family member when she got out of the hospital 2 days later. She wont see her baby till it is 6 or 8 months old! That is so sad! And BTW my mom is a good person, but she has made some bad choices that landed her in prison.

misssy2000
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:43 PM

How sad, that is horrible!. I could not imagin that.

Quoting MrMowhawksMommy:

i saw a special on TV about this once. They have special jails with a nursery in them and moms can keep their baby in their till they turn 12 months or until they get out. I don't think they do it everywhere though. My mom was in prison with a couple pregnant ladies and one had the baby and had to give it up to a family member when she got out of the hospital 2 days later. She wont see her baby till it is 6 or 8 months old! That is so sad! And BTW my mom is a good person, but she has made some bad choices that landed her in prison.

ncbirdie
by Robyn on Aug. 6, 2009 at 1:55 PM

One point- jail and prison are two different things.  Jail is where you go when you get arrested, prison is where you serve your sentance.  And I'm sure that there are many women who've done the wrong thing or been in the wrong place at the wrong time who end up getting arrested.  So I don't think that it would be an absurd request that your local jail have pumps available or allow a family member to bring you a pump and/or baby to relieve engorgement until bail is posted.

And obviously, there are certain provisions made to breastfeeding women in prison.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)