Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How Long Does It Take to Feed?

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 7 Replies

I have a 4 wk old infant that nurses anywhere from 40 min. to an hour. I'm curious... do they get more efficient at emptiying the breast as they get older? In October I will return to work. I'm lucky enough to be able to have my children with me at my job, and would prefer to continue BF my baby, but won't be able to if it continues to take this long. Input anyone??

by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bhwrn1
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Yes, they get more efficent as they get older. My LO is 8 weeks. At 4 weeks he was still feeding 40 mins (20 on each side), now he does 10 mins each side and sometimes only one side for 15 mins.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

LKRA
by Platinum Member on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Newborn babies nurse ALOT. ALOT. :) She's just helping to boost your supply by nursing so much. It's not that she's bad at it or anything. It does get better as they get older. Just nurse on demand and you'll be fine.

ChazznRoccosmom
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Don't worry momma. Yes, they get more efficient as time goes by. Some older babies only need to nurse for like 5 minutes. 

Chazz     Rocco    Joey

baby boybaby boybaby boy

06-24-02   09-05-05   09-15-08

Gruntlings
by on Aug. 6, 2009 at 3:33 PM

MUCH more efficient. My son used to take upwards of an hour to breastfeed. By the time he was a few months old he could empty the breast in five minutes.

mom22girls_09
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 4:29 PM

Oh, thank God. I wasn't able to bf my first daughter, so I really wasn't sure what I was in for with #2. Good to know they get better and quicker. ;)

Thanks, everyone!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Apr. 29, 2011 at 1:15 PM

BUMP!

catholicmamamia
by on Apr. 30, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Quoting ChazznRoccosmom: Don't worry momma. Yes, they get more efficient as time goes by. Some older babies only need to nurse for like 5 minutes. 

CLICK AN ICON TO JOIN US IN OUR GREAT GROUPS FOR INFO & SUPPORT!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN