Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

do you ever get any time to yourself?

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM
  • 16 Replies

Mine and my husbands 1 year anniversary is coming up in a month!  We have not gone out on a date since before our almost 7 m/o was born!  Better yet, I have never been away from my son b/c I am the one who feeds him.  Anyways, we really want to just go out to dinner or something for our anniversary, but my son will not drink my pumped milk out of a bottle!  He acts like I'm torturing him or something lol!! Anyways, I just wanted to know if anyone else has this problem and what you may have done. Thanks so much!

by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 10:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BabyDio
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM

Have you tried giving him a sippy? That's about the time that I started giveing my daughter a sippy cup of water. I also let her have those freeze dried fruits just to kind of hold her over. I never had a prob leaving her then for a few hours, she was usually too busy to worry about eating anyway. I would chose someone that has other small kids to watch him so he's playing the whole time. I had to go back to work when Dio was 10 months old (nights) and I didn't want to start bottles really and she hated pumped milk.  I just had the sitter give her dinner- it was her only meal of the day and a sippy with pediasure.... She did great. She now goes to bed with a sippy of water so it won't hurt her teeth.

Karie's Cocoon Slings
               http://www.kariescocoons.etsy.com 

Fun for Natural Babies!

EthansMommy109
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 12:00 PM

yes, I have 3 sippy cups and when I to put it in his mouth he freaks out just like when I try to give him a bottle.  and if I give it to him, he just hits it and plays with it, hah!!  The girl who said she would watch him for me lives right down the street from me and she has a 18 mth old daughter who Ethan plays with all of the time, so maybe he just wont get hungry.  I also thought maybe we could just go to dinner after he goes to bed and just have her come over just incase he wakes up.  

Thanks for your advice! :)

Amy614
by on Aug. 8, 2009 at 12:27 PM

If you're only going out for a couple hours, just BF right before you leave... As in, be ready to go, hair done, etc., feed, pass to sitter for burping.  If it makes you more comfortable, leave a bottle/sippy with only a couple oz. for the sitter; you never know- your LO could take it better when you aren't there.  I have a BF child in my care at the child care center where I work, and she had a hard time with her bottles the first few days she was there, but now takes them for us great.  Still won't take them if mom is anywhere around, but this gives mom some peace of mind while she has to be at work.  But, if it is only going to be a couple hours, you should be ok, and not have to worry too much about a sitter needing to offer EBM to your child.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 8, 2009 at 12:44 PM

Who's givign the bottle? If it's YOU, that's the problem. Solution: Hand baby to caregiver and exit, stage right. Mom should not be present when a bottle is given.

palexander
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 12:46 AM

My son is almost 8 months old and hubby and I have been out twice without him. We like to go to the movies and have twice so far. I will nurse JJ right before we leave, even if he is not hungry. This usually holds him over till we get back. But at the most I am gone 3 hours. Our anniversity is coming up Sept. 6 and I have no idea what we will do but it will probably be something similar or maybe see if he won't take a bottle and go 30 miles away and eat. But more than likely I will probably end up taking him with us.

As for you getting out, if I have to run to the store, 3 miles into town, I will leave right after nursing and leave him with daddy or mema and go to town. Of course I am not gone long.

Oh, I forgot to mention. My son has a "schedule", his doing not mine. He will nurse every 3 hours unless I put the boob in his mouth.

utahkritter
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 12:51 AM

Ditto my thoughts.

Quoting gdiamante:

Who's givign the bottle? If it's YOU, that's the problem. Solution: Hand baby to caregiver and exit, stage right. Mom should not be present when a bottle is given.

MommySwiggles
by Member on Aug. 10, 2009 at 12:53 AM

time to myself????  what's that???

Mom_to_Lincoln
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2009 at 1:14 AM

I have separation anxiety and did not leave my son until 18 months!! I don't recommend that! lol But my sister is bf her 6 month old and now she is on solids she will nurse her first and then  If she needs more while mommy is away she can have baby food since she wont take a bottle or sippy well.  also My sister goes put to places that are close by just in case she has to come back to soothe her! there was one day my mom watched her while me and my sister went down the road to shop! it was only about 30 min or so and my mom called and said she had been cying the whole time. that's why we came back early. but that day she had not nursed yet because it was real early in the morning when we left.

CAgirl1214
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 1:33 AM

My son won't take a bottle either, and when my mom babysits, she gives him solids to hold him over.  I normally don't even feed him many solids, maybe once or twice a week and only a couple tablespoons at a time, but that seems to keep him happy until i get there.  Also you might try a sippy cup or one with a straw.  My son can almost work a straw he just needs a little more practice. 

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
katznkt
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 1:39 AM
Ditto the question of who is giving the bottle? DD never took a bottle from me, but she would from my hubby, but only if I wasn't in the house. If I was any where around she would NOT take it.

Some time to myself, but NO alone time with my hubby. Gets better as they get older... so I hear...

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)