Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do I EBF after surgery.

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 51/2 mo. old is having open heart surgery next friday. I EBF and am wondering if anyone has any idea of what will work best for feeding after the surg. I just don't really know what to expect and what  will work best. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:58 PM

Once baby is allowed food by mouth, you may have to lean over baby to nurse..most likely yo will not be able to hold your baby to nruse for a while.  It may be hard but it can be done.

Dana4
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 7:05 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Once baby is allowed food by mouth, you may have to lean over baby to nurse..most likely yo will not be able to hold your baby to nruse for a while.  It may be hard but it can be done.

Leaning over, could be interesting...;)

The cardiologist told us I could stay there with her and after about 2 days they would take her off the vent and that they encourage breast feeding. I'm just not sure how to hold her without hurting her.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:34 PM

Quoting Dana4:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Leaning over, could be interesting...;)

The cardiologist told us I could stay there with her and after about 2 days they would take her off the vent and that they encourage breast feeding. I'm just not sure how to hold her without hurting her.

Some moms can hold their babies some can't..if you can do it and nurse nurse nurse..make sure to pump for those days where she can't be BF and have them use a tube to syringe to feed her..they can use your milk and should use your milk..pump every 2-3 hours to maintain supply.  My friends daughter was a bit weak after heart surgery and needed an SNS to be able to get enough milk..watch for that, you can use your own milk in the SNS

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM

BTW your milk can help her incisions heal and scars be less...works better than most ointments....

Dana4
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

BTW your milk can help her incisions heal and scars be less...works better than most ointments....

Thank you for your advise, very helpful.

about the bm on incision, can I just put it straight on there? Should I start right away in the hospital, will they let me do that?? I would have never thought of doing that. I love bm, its good for everything.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 13, 2009 at 1:05 PM

hmmmm if they want to put an ointment on it, ask to use BM instead...worth a try

Quoting Dana4:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Thank you for your advise, very helpful.

about the bm on incision, can I just put it straight on there? Should I start right away in the hospital, will they let me do that?? I would have never thought of doing that. I love bm, its good for everything.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN