Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Side Laying Position Update***

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM
  • 8 Replies

I need help. I so want to be able to co sleep. That way maybe I will get a little more sleep. Now I can do the side laying position on one side but on the other I can't seem to get her latched on properly. And last night ended up getting my one side kind of sore from trying to get her on right. She is 5 weeks old and can latch on properly when I have her in any other position. I need some tips for this position. 

***Update***

We have finally gotten this side laying position down.  I barely even have to be awake. It is wonderful! Thanks for the tips and comments.

by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 9:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 10:00 AM

I co-sleep and side nurse my 7 week son this way and we manage 1 continuous nursing session from about 2 till about 8 when we get up. it's great and I love it. I know that I have to lay a few cloth diapers under my boob so that it is propped up enough to reach his mouth and he can properly latch and sometimes 1 under his cheek. I also nurse layling on my left  side but with him nursing from my right boob by leaning over him and using a pillow to raise my upper body up some. I can't sleep this way but like you he sometimes doesn't nurse well from my right boob and this seem to work for us at times. You can also try laying on a pillow so your nipple is at a downward angle that sometimes works for us. I don't know if any of these are tried and true but they are just things I have tried and work for us.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

juliebulie
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:04 PM

hey thanks for the tips im not giving up on this cosleeping cus my dd def doesn't have a routine down. and i have got to get some sleep.

hoosieraa2006
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I have a 3 week old and would like to get more info on this as well... I latch her on my right side (when laying on my right) with my right hand behind her head, then hold her head up with my left hand for a second once she is latched and tuck my right upper arm underneath her neck so she is lifted up a little (and also reduces any risk that I might roll toward her since my arm is in the way). It seems to work but the switching takes lots of coordination in the middle of the night... I'd like more ideas too so if nothing else, here's a bump for you! :)

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 5:23 PM

Do you guys sleep alone with the baby or does hubby share also? I now that personally for us and we have been co-sleeping with our children for 13 years that the first 4-6 months it is easier without hubby in the bed. It allows us more freedom to move and find the best positions which in the end means more sleep for us. Hubby usually rejoins us when baby is a little bigger.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

juliebulie
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Hubby is sleeping with us. And yes it does get crowded. But that is mainly because the baby seems to slide closer and closer to me and I end up scooting closer to hubby. Have to find a way to keep the baby in one place. I did some practice side laying today to get a better idea of what I am doing. Helped that I was able to see in the daytime and was fully awake. I think tonight may go better. I gotta get the hang of this. Mommy needs sleep. Lol

JamiHartley
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I know it's probably not the best advice...but I ended up using my boppy pillow for my son to be 'propped" in while I nursed him side laying. I would sort of be laying up on my pillow and he'd be laying in the boppy and it seemed to work for me well. I know u aren't supposed to have lots of pillows in the bed with newborns or whatever, but it was the only way i could get him to latch well without choking. If i laid him flat, he'd spit up all over the place...it took a few times to get it down, but it worked eventually...

MrsBeasley
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 12:28 AM
I know this is a little late but wanted to throw my trick in too for anyone else needing help! My son is 4 weeks old and was 5 weeks early-i tried to nurse in side lay pos after I caught myself sleeping sitting up one night! It was hard at first because even though he was a big preemie (over 7 lbs) my boobs are huge (DDD when not pregnant) and they seem to smother him-and my nipple was never in the right spot for him. I noticed that my nipple would be really close to the bed which made him turn his face almost into the mattress, so I turned almost onto my back-my boob flops to my side (ahhh, the joys of breastfeeding boobies!!) And it works perfect. Its not ideal because I like to sleep on my side/stomach but at least I sleep!
CaNative
by on Sep. 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM

I pretty much just lay in bed just like I'm going to sleep on my side with my arm under my pillow and my son lays down right next to me and I just position him right in front of the boob. At first he preferred the right side to the left, so I had to learn to feed him from both boobs on one side,it was kind of awkward at first since I had to lean over just a bit so he could reach,but it got easier the more I did it. Now that he's older, 9 months, he doesn't care what side, thank goodness he finally got over that, and we side nurse both sides all night. I get decent sleep. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and my son just help himself to a midnight snack if I leave it out for him, hahaha.  Just keep practicing, you'll find what is more comfortable for you and your baby. Hope this helps a little.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN