Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

my nipplrs are killing me!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM
  • 12 Replies

My son is 5 weeks old today and my nipples are starting to get realy sore. i am watching him and his latch is still fine, he is nursing more offten and i guess more vigorusly, so is this the cause of it? my right nipple dosent hurt till after the feeding but my left one hurts during latch on and throughoput even thoug he is latching on correctly. my nipples are even beging to crack i think. what besides the lamisoh will ease  this pain they aree on fire and painfull. thanks for any help

We are pressed on every side by troubles, But we are not crushed. we are perplexed, but not driven to dispair. we are hunted down, but never abandoned by god. we get knocked down but we are not distroyed. 2 Corinthians 4:8,9(New Living Trnslation)Myspace GraphicsMyspace Graphics
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 10:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadyangel42
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

I used a nipple shield for the same thing.  Then I had to wean my son back off, and now my are direct latching...  My nipples were flat and the extra draw on them is what did it....

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
bjbaby1
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:01 PM

That happened to me recently ( my dd is 5 months old) I just kept using the lansinoh cream and i bought a medela nipple shield, it healed eventually. about 2 weeks.

-----

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 20, 2009 at 11:03 PM

My son is a vigorous nurser and that can cause pain and cracks. I would get some lanasih and wait it out. Don't give up they will heal.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 13, Abby 8 and  Liam born June 15 2009

michelepulley
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 7:58 AM

If your nipples are cracked I would put some antibiotic cream on after nursing to prevent bacteria from causing a breast infection.  If there is too much pain consider pumping that side and feeding baby with a bottle after you've nursed him on the other side.  Give your nipple a rest for a few days to let it heal.  Try baby ambisol to numb the nipple too.

Mom2SavRynShai
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:14 PM

Definitely pick up some Lansinoh, its pricey but well worth it. Use it after and between sessions. My dd actually bit a hole in my nipple and I used the Lansinoh and had no trouble nursing.

Pregnancy ticker

kptmomof3
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:20 PM

The Lansinoh cream does help soo much and also I have found, use them with the Lansinoh Nursing Pads and change them OFTEN!  Have you checked to see if your LO has Thrush? Mine had thrush and omg, it hurt soo bad when I nursed him....could be something to check on!!

aydensmomma13
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 10:50 PM

The fact that one side is "on fire" throughout the nursing session (while having a good latch)makes me think you should look into the possibility of having thrush.  I wouldn't suggest getting a nipple shield unless absolutely necessary.

Lilypie

CeliMasto
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:21 PM

Im sorry i dont have time to read the other replies but have you been airdrying?? Its helpful to airdry after he feeds.  express a little milk and rub it on your nips and let it dry for a few minutes and the healing properties should help.  Im sorry if someone else said this.

CeliMasto
by on Aug. 21, 2009 at 11:23 PM

I remember being in so much pain for the first few weeks that I wanted to thro the lansinoh out of the window but it does get better!! By three months you should have a system down too! But the pain should stop soon and like everyone said there could be an infection or something so maybe check with the nurses at the hospital, a lactation con. or ur doc.  Feel better!!

GypsyEyezNY
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

You are not alone! I too am having some pain. I am slowly getting used to it but when he first latches on and starts sucking it hurts alot. Then the pain subsides. But my breasts feel sore and tender all day long pretty much. I use the cream LLL recommended and also spoke with lactation consultant. I have noticed that my son has a very strong latch and suck. He is like a shark! LOL! He is 29 days old. I hope it gets better soon. My nipples crack and also I noticed a piece of my nipple appears to be raw and red.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN