Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Serious Lumps in my armpits

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM
  • 12 Replies

Ok, so I know they are glands filled with milk.  My question is: if changin positions doesn't make them go away, or they keep reappearing, what can I do to make them go away, they are CRAZY uncomfortable!

by on Aug. 22, 2009 at 1:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM

Shoot. Honestly don't know anything but continuing to nurse on demand so your supply regulates.

beckerdev
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:23 PM

I had this exact problem, first off feed, feed, feed! After Dani REALLY nursed the lumps went away, they would come back periodically and sometimes if she wasn't nursing enough I pumped to help "empty" the breast. For the discomfort: warm, moist compresses and tylenol. It will go away soon, it took mine about 3 weeks total.

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM

Lumps in your armpits are filled with milk? Am I reading that correctly or did you mean lumps in your breasts?

Lumps in your armpits are lymphnodes and if they're big, they should be checked out.

I've never heard of lumps in armpits filled with milk, though. 

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

lalabear88
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM

I've had lumps in my armpits filled with milk too, and I know how uncomfortable it is!  I get it the worst right after my babies are born, when my milk production is in overdrive.  I treat them the same as a clogged duct...  warm compresses, massage, hot showers, lots of nursing & pumping.  How old is your baby?  Do you think you have an oversupply?  Mine usually get a lot better after my supply has regulated.

Kari

coffeeyum
by on Aug. 23, 2009 at 12:36 PM

I agree with the 1st response on the page, supply on demand, always feed them when they are hungry, mine drank so much and grew so fast this way, I could  not get passed the 3 + 1/2 month time though, and if I did, it would be so horribly painful like the glands got drained right out. But the children always thrived .

mom22girls_09
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM

What helped me was to put a wet washcloth in a baggie, heat it up in the microwave for about 10 - 15 sec. (make sure it's not too hot!) and then put it around my breast inside my bra before nursing on that side. Then after baby was done nursing I would pump out any remaining milk. Also - tylenol helped to ease the discomfort. My lactation consultant also recommended ibuprofen if the tylenol didn't work.

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM

Maybe I just never produced enough to have milk in my armpits? That's so weird! Lol. (Sorry I'm commenting again, that's just...so bizzar. I never knew that could happen! Although, I was watching House and apparently there was a glad behind this woman's leg that was filled with milk, lol) 

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

piwife
by on Aug. 24, 2009 at 1:51 PM

I HAVE THE SAME THING IS GROSS!! IT GETS FULL OF MIL IF I DONT PUMP EVERY 4 HRS LOL. MY DH CALS IT MY 3RD BOOBIE. HEHE. ANYWAYS THE MORE YOUN NURSE IT WILL COME DOWN. I GOIT IT WITH MY FIRST CHILD AND IT NEVER WENT DOWN COMPLELY. IT DOES HURT ALOT WHEN IS FULL OF MILK AND I CNAT EVEN PUT MY ARM DOWN. IT SUCKS

I am a feed your baby what you want, public bf supported,pro-life,pro immigration, lover of animals. co-sleeping ,vaccinating, gun supporter, colombain girl in love with a us. marine (aka my hubby' mistress)
IZs_mommy
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Quoting chairhead28:

Lumps in your armpits are filled with milk? Am I reading that correctly or did you mean lumps in your breasts?

Lumps in your armpits are lymphnodes and if they're big, they should be checked out.

I've never heard of lumps in armpits filled with milk, though. 

The lumpsa re much larger than my lymphnodes, even the swollen ones, of which I can also feel.  I went to the DR and she suggested the things you ladies already did as well.  She also said if it doesn't get better in a few days to call and go back in.  Thank you for the suggestions!

MamaLisa1976
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:00 PM
O...m...g... I went to the dr. with the same problem a year or so ago and ended up having SURGERY!! Then only to be told it was nothing! I was never even told my glands could be filled with milk!! I wonder if that's what this was... I was crazy worried it was the big "c".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)