Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tips for current breast feeding moms.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:26 AM
  • 20 Replies

I am going to try to post daily, for any struggling bfeeding moms. I am currently breast feeding my third baby. This is actually the first time one of my children was able to latch on. I pumped with my first two.

With each of my children, bfeeding has been extremely different.  Please feel free to send me your comments and/or questions.

This is one of the many difficult parts of being a new mom, no matter if this is your first or fifth child. Lets work through these hard times, along with share the fun times together. 

I am no expert, and trust me I don't pretend to be. I can only tell you what works/worked for me.

I will help you, let me know if you can help me.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamela_in_fl
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM

I've currently made it to the six month mark with my baby boy. If you have any questions, ask away. It's been a beautiful experience this time around, last time, not so much! You can do it if you remain positive about it and are determined to do it!

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Thanks for you support!

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:35 PM

Ok, It's been 2 weeks and 5 days. Time is flying bye.

My new struggle is to find a balance between pumping and direct bfeeding. The reason I have been pumping is to allow my husband to help with some of the feeding allowing me to get some much needed sleep. I also can pump more milk, faster then my son can eat.

But this has not been easy. My son eats every 2.5 - 3 hours. So my breast supply has gotten used to this schedule. Sense I can pump more them my son needs, I am able to pump enough for 1.5 servings, allowing me to skip a feeding.  This seemed to work for a few days.

However, when I skip a feeding to get some sleep, my supply changes. A few times, I became ingorged and other times I have had to drink a lot of water inorder to increase my supply.

TIP::: I had gotten ingorged very bad with my second child. I was told to try warm washcloths and massaging, which didn't work for me. And if you have ever been ingorged really bad you know that messaging at times is not an option. The pain is just too bad. However, I have noticed with my recent ingorgement, by standing in the shower with hot water, all of my tightness and pain goes away very quickly. This also helps with let down and makes bfeeding less painful.

So I am not sure how to solve my problem. If I have to get up every 2.5 - 3 hours to pump on the same schedule as my sons feeding schedule, I might as well just bfeed. But this will bring me back to the reason I wanted to pump and will not help me get any sleep.

With all of this being said, my third son is my only child that has been able to latch on. I am not sure how I will be emotionaly if I choose to completely pump. This may take some baby bonding time away from me.

sarahg2887
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Congratz on making it the time you have.  I know its hard and I thought before to pump and have my hubby wake up and feed the baby (I didn't think he would wake up to do it but I wanted to try) I never actually got around to it because I was afraid of loosing my milk supply so I didn't.  I can't be much help for you but all I can say is that it gets easier. Soon your baby will be sleeping longer periods so you wouldn't have to wake up so much during the night to feed.

I had a really hard time the first few months of my son's life because I wasn't producing enough milk so my doc had me supplementing and pumping just about every 1-2 hours night and day.  It was hard but I learned from the ladies here that he should eat boob only as often as he wants and it will increase my supply.  this was extremely difficult but I learned to try to sleep when he slept so I was getting as much rest as he was.

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:25 PM

With my second child I was only able to punp. The more I pumped the more
I produced. I was actually pumping 14-16 oz every 4 to 5 hours. This was a blessing, however, it ended up being somewhat of a curse. My second child passed away after 32 days. I was still producing large amounts of milk. It took a long time to slow my production and eventually stop. Even after taking a pill to slow production it took several weeks.

After talking to a lactationist, she said that I produced so much because I was pumping too much out.

I am not sure if you are still interested in pumping still. But the more you pump the more you produce. Your breast should associate pumping the same as it processes bfeeding

pamela_in_fl
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:34 PM

It's supply and demand. Eventually your engorgement should even out. Until then you'll have to wake to pump or feed! I'm able to now make it thru the night without waking to do either. Somehow your body just adjusts. Don't expect anything solid for at least 6 weeks. I would only suggest pumping for engorgement and pain. If you ignore it, you could send your body the signal that you want to dry up, or cause an infection. Also, what may have been with one child may not be the same with the next. Last time I BF, I only made it 2 months, I'm in 6 months this time!

I'm so sorry for your loss.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:46 PM

Quoting Iamamommyagain:

Ok, It's been 2 weeks and 5 days. Time is flying bye.

My new struggle is to find a balance between pumping and direct bfeeding. The reason I have been pumping is to allow my husband to help with some of the feeding allowing me to get some much needed sleep.

Suggestion. Make dad do ANYTHING but feed. ANYTHING. And EVERYTHING. You'll get much more sleep if he takes over some of the chores. Or leave them undone. The house won't fall down, promise.

I also can pump more milk, faster then my son can eat.

But this has not been easy. My son eats every 2.5 - 3 hours. So my breast supply has gotten used to this schedule. Sense I can pump more them my son needs, I am able to pump enough for 1.5 servings, allowing me to skip a feeding.  This seemed to work for a few days.

However, when I skip a feeding to get some sleep, my supply changes. A few times, I became ingorged and other times I have had to drink a lot of water inorder to increase my supply.

And so you're making more work. Which is exactly the OPPOSITE of what you were trying to achieve.

TIP::: I had gotten ingorged very bad with my second child. I was told to try warm washcloths and massaging, which didn't work for me. And if you have ever been ingorged really bad you know that messaging at times is not an option. The pain is just too bad. However, I have noticed with my recent ingorgement, by standing in the shower with hot water, all of my tightness and pain goes away very quickly. This also helps with let down and makes bfeeding less painful.

So I am not sure how to solve my problem. If I have to get up every 2.5 - 3 hours to pump on the same schedule as my sons feeding schedule, I might as well just bfeed. But this will bring me back to the reason I wanted to pump and will not help me get any sleep.

You did read the "no lsepe again ever" clause in the Mommy COntract, right? **grin**

Seriously. If something is not needed for survival, YOU don't do it. And leave pretty much everything for dad to do. Don't worry about things being done "right."  Sleep when the baby sleeps.

With all of this being said, my third son is my only child that has been able to latch on. I am not sure how I will be emotionaly if I choose to completely pump. This may take some baby bonding time away from me.

Bonding happens no matter what. Don't even worry about that. I'm more concerned that in your quest to make things easier you actually made thngs harder.

Seriously. Let dad do anything but feeding. Sleep when the baby sleeps. And leave things undone. That is key to survival right now.

Also...the admission for seeing your baby is a chore or a casserole, unless the visitor is too old or too young.

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:35 AM

qdiamante,

I wish my husband could do it all. But he works third shift, going in to work at 10:30pm and getting off around 7am. So when he gets home he needs to go to sleep. And this is when I am getting up, and trying to get my stuff done for the day. I know it will take some time to get a schedule.

By the time my husband gets up it is in the middle of the afternoon. So I pretty much have to get all by business affairs done before it gets too late in the day.

I am thinking I am going to soldier on through breast feeding, until i have to go back to work in about 3 weeks. At this time I will have to pump. So I will probably transition then.

Thanks for you imput.

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Pamela in Fl,

I was wondering are you a stay at home mom, or do you work from home? I have been searching for a stay at home job, which would make bfeeding much easier.

Iamamommyagain
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 1:00 AM

'Ok so one more day down. I got some down time, last night, with some friends. So I had a few drinks. I felt kind of bad about pumping and dumping. But I really needed some down time. The in-laws took care of the kids, so I got out the house. YEAAAA ME!!!

I pumped enough extra milk for two feedings, and I had a small container of formula. I mixed the formula and breast milk. My son seemed to take the mixture as if nothing was different.

I thought he might get constipated but everything is fine. Even though I could use a break from all the diapers. How can some thing so little, which doesn't eat much, stink so much? I love him nevertheless.

Oh let me not forget the great sensation of  "Let down" I experienced this with my past children.  It is as though someone is crapping their nails in to top of my breast. I have been trying to explain to my husband, but he will never understand. He is always asking me "What is wrong with you?" or "Why are you graping your boobs?" I find myself not even realizing that I am pressing across the top of my breast, in an attempt to make the pain less painful.

All the joys of MOTHERHOOD.... it could never be explained all in one place. No matter how long the movie or book.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)