Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

is this true?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM
  • 20 Replies

my ds has been having some weight issues and last night my mother in law asked if the doctors had diagnosed him as failure to thrive, and i said no but it seems like theyre teetering on it.... and she said oh well if they do just switch him to bottles because cps loves to take kids that are ftt! yeah great for the anxiety! i'm not friggin abusing him! i've done everythign the doctors have told me to. i've seen 3 lactation consultants. ugh she stresses me out so much!!!

by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
marilyn623
by Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:34 PM

i forgot to add that she did foster care for  years and adopted 4 kids throught foster to adopt.

babycowart
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:36 PM

i don't know about the cps but with DD#1 i had to put her on formula bc of that. my milk just wouldn't come in for some reason. she was a new baby after that first bottle. luckily i didn't have that problem with DD#2, she's 5 months and still a booby baby with no plans to stop.

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

What was the lowest weight and current weight and how old is your baby?

MY DD was 8lbs 12oz at birth and when she was 9 months she was only 13lbs. She lost over a pound in a month and I saw a LC and tried to get my supply up and all of that...her pediatrician never said he'd call CPS on me but wanted me to supplement and I said no. We agreed to start solids at 8.5 months to see if it would help her gain weight...needless to say, it didn't. She'll be a year on 9/13 and barely hit 15lbs a few weeks ago. She's just a small girl. Maybe your child is just a smaller child. Don't go by the growth chart at the pedi's office beacuse it's for FF babies. My DD isn't even on the growth chart..but she's meeting milestones, happy, healthy and content. They cannot call CPS...what are they going to say? You're starving your child? You're feeding your child...your child may just be small. I'm not a doc though. Good luck.

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

WilliamsMama08
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:41 PM

Hahaha... I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that.  1)  Someone would need to report abuse 2) If there is nothing going on don't worry. 

My step-mom is a foster parent and let me tell you, they would never take your baby away for if you were being proactive in keeping your child well.  You are fine, ignore your MIL.

marilyn623
by Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:45 PM

when we left the hospital he was 6 12. he's 12 lb 8.5 oz as of friday. and he turned 5 months on the 27th. when he was 3.5 months he weighed 12 lb 13 and then he dropped down to 12 3 in 3 wks. he's been gaining 2-3 oz a week since then. he's far from famished lol hes chunk.

Quoting chairhead28:

MY DD was 8lbs 12oz at birth and when she was 9 months she was only 13lbs. She lost over a pound in a month and I saw a LC and tried to get my supply up and all of that...her pediatrician never said he'd call CPS on me but wanted me to supplement and I said no. We agreed to start solids at 8.5 months to see if it would help her gain weight...needless to say, it didn't. She'll be a year on 9/13 and barely hit 15lbs a few weeks ago. She's just a small girl. Maybe your child is just a smaller child. Don't go by the growth chart at the pedi's office beacuse it's for FF babies. My DD isn't even on the growth chart..but she's meeting milestones, happy, healthy and content. They cannot call CPS...what are they going to say? You're starving your child? You're feeding your child...your child may just be small. I'm not a doc though. Good luck.

CAgirl1214
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:47 PM

No!  OMG what a horrible thing to tell someone.  Honestly CPS does not want to take people's kids away from them (unless they really need to of course).  They don't just do it for the hell of it, there has to be a really good reason and that's not one.  My cousin has 2 daughters who were totally ignored most of the time, slept on a bare mattress with nothing but their underwear on, my cousin and her husband were both lame asses who hardly worked if at all and the only reason the girls could eat was because of my aunt and they didn't get taken away.  They got called on but not taken away even to be given to family members who were willing to take them.  FTT is a real diagnosis and there's nothing you can really do about it, and they know that.  It would be like taking your kid away because he/she was a hemophiliac and got a scratch or something.  As long as you're doing your best you have nothing to worry about.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
LeanneC
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 12:53 PM

Quoting marilyn623:

when we left the hospital he was 6 12. he's 12 lb 8.5 oz as of friday. and he turned 5 months on the 27th. when he was 3.5 months he weighed 12 lb 13 and then he dropped down to 12 3 in 3 wks. he's been gaining 2-3 oz a week since then. he's far from famished lol hes chunk.

So, he gained pretty quickly in the beginning and now he's slowed down.  He's still got an average gain of a little over a lb a month.

Have you started solids, or is there any other reason his gain may have slowed?

I do think it's normal for them to gain slower at this age.  We went from 6lbs 3oz to 14lb2oz by 3 months, then by 5 months he was only 16lbs so he slowed pretty dramatically.  

Is he meeting milestones? 

marilyn623
by Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 1:05 PM

Quoting LeanneC:

Quoting marilyn623:

So, he gained pretty quickly in the beginning and now he's slowed down.  He's still got an average gain of a little over a lb a month.

Have you started solids, or is there any other reason his gain may have slowed?

I do think it's normal for them to gain slower at this age.  We went from 6lbs 3oz to 14lb2oz by 3 months, then by 5 months he was only 16lbs so he slowed pretty dramatically.  

Is he meeting milestones? 

he wants nothing to do with solids. oh yeah he's way ahead on milestones. he's doing this inchworm crawling thing and very happy and smiley. his dad is 5 10 and chubby and i'm 5 foot 0 and skinny

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Quoting marilyn623:

Quoting chairhead28:

Breastfed babies are supposed to double their weight by 6 months and it looks like he's almost there and he's not even 6 months yet! Sorry, but your mom's a little...insane, lol. And if your doc's telling you he's not gaining weight right....he's gaining weight fine. There's nothing for you to worry about. He's not even NEAR close to FTT. (Maybe someone else will say differently...but the way I see it...that's not a small child....I guess because I've been dealing with weight issues with my DD for months on end now.)

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

lifetimelove
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 1:58 PM

My daughter has been FTT since 5 months, never had a bottle and no one has come to take her away.  All her pediatricians should have been taken away because it turns out she has GERD which was probably a huge factor of her weight gain issues that they failed to diagnose.  It took a neurologist to spot it and refer her to the GI doctors.  Bunch of morons, but that's another topic entirely.

Yeah, don't be stressed out, your baby is far from FTT, and your doctor would need to be committed to actually not only diagnose him as FTT but to then report you to CPS, who would probably get really pissed off for wasting their time when there's actual children who really need help.  As long as he's happy, growing, meeting milestones and getting at least 6 wet/poopy diapers a day you're good.  =)  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN