Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Using frozen milk

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 5 Replies

I really need to start using my frozen milk and am curious what system others use.

As some background, I make a ton of milk each day - enough to put 18 oz in bottles every day and freeze 18-24 oz - every day! My freezer is over flowing with milk. I haven't counted in a while but probably have close to 100 bags of milk, each with 5-6 oz.

So I want to start using some of my frozen milk but am dreading the process of freezing so much every day. Thoughts? Suggestions?

BTW - I just read on another post using freezer ziploc bags. I am totally going to have to do this. I am dropping a ton of money on the other bags.

by on Sep. 1, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
pamela_in_fl
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM

I personally use the Lansinoh (sp) breastmilk bags to freeze my milk. I used the Ziploc bags last time I nursed and it was fine. I wanted to try the real bags this time and I'm glad I do! I've been doing it for six months now and had about the stock you have in your freezer when I went back to work. I pump twice per day, freeze what I pump. I take out enough milk for 1-2 days from the freezer, put in the frig to defrost and make bottles every night. If you want to EBF, you have to do the work. It's worth it!

Some days I don't pump as much as others so I'm glad I have a "stash" in the freezer. I have two tupperware containors in the freezer. One with the older milk I take from everyday and the other is the new milk I store. Each month I reverse it. It's easy!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 2, 2009 at 9:25 AM

Start witht he oldest milk first, and thaw.

Are you exclusively pumping? Or is this just extra? You might be able to get away with reducing your pumping a bit.

clairewait
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM

No advice, just wanted to say I'm doing the SAME THING, with about as much milk.  I'll start work in 3 weeks and am eager to hurry and use this milk.  There's so much I'm storing it in a neighbors deep freeze!

Mine is just starting to sleep through the night and I'm considering giving up the late night pumping... last time I did this my supply dwindled considerably, which wouldn't be a bad thing for me right now.  This morning I pumped 12 oz in 10 minutes!  Gah.

Claire Wait

Making money with my morning coffee: http://clairebeautiful.blogspot.com;
Send me a message if you have any questions.
Total so far: $166.20

Husband: John since 8/28/05
Daughters: Eliott  2/8/07; Carter  7/7/09

ckettler
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:13 PM

how about donating it to the milkbank? That's what I do.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 13, 2010 at 2:25 PM

DO NOT use ziplock bags its not safe to use them for storage they are not sterile, when a bag of milk is thawed it can be placed in a ziplock to prevent losing milk from leakage but for freezing you need to use BM bags ONLY..you can also use bottles or ice cube trays if you want but not ziplocks

Use the oldest milk first, I used 1/2 fresh 1/2 frozen when I worked with my son.  If you are EPing then store store store the pumping amounts will go down.  If you are pumping when at work...how much do you use each day/how long away from baby/how much extra are you pumping?  You may find donating to be a good idea.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)