Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

freezerburnt breastmilk?

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM
  • 2 Replies

I have a ton of frozen BM b/c I pumped alot right after DD was born thinking I was going back to work part time like I did with my son and I never could build up a stash with him and it always stressed me out.  Now that DD is 7 months old I am going to go into work for a few hrs a couple of days a week so I thought we could use some of the frozen BM.  Its been stored in a deep freeze and has been the only thing in there so the lid is not opened very often.  Anyway I went to organize it all today so I could use the oldest stuff and it looked funny.  Some of the first bags actually had a little ice crystals in them (the ones I stored before I figured out to store it flat)  Some of the flat ones have little white spots through them, so I cant tell if thats just part of the milk or something is wrong with them.  Is there anyway to be able to tell before they are thawed?  I was planning on donating some also but dont want to donate milk that isnt any good.  Oh and they are all stored in lansinoh bags.  I have about 300oz so any info would be appreciated as I really do no want to throw all that away.

by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Candi1024
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM

The white spots are normal.

The crystals probably are not a problem. Easy way to find out. Thaw out the oldest or the one that looks the worst and taste it.

tayers
by on Sep. 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM

Yeah I have a couple of bags thawing now so we'll see.  Hope they are ok.  I always hate to waste milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)