Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Birth Control PIOG

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

my hubby and i tried a diaphragm...i thought this would be the best solution for us since i'm allergic to latex and i didn't want to take any hormonal birth control pills because i am afraid of it effecting my milk...well the diaphragm SUCKS...it just too messy for me, you have to leave it in for 6 hours after intercourse and when you take it out is just is gross, for me any way...i am thinking about going back on birth control pills...have you ladies ever used birth control pills while you were breastfeeding?...if so what kind did you use?...did it mess up your supply?

thanx

Kimra . vegan. .crunchy. .natural minded. .baby wearing. .co-sleeping. .breastfeeding. .instinctive parenting. .prosperity conscious. .positive thinking. .green. .punk rock. .mama to Oliver. .wife to Seth.
"It ill becomes us to invoke in our daily prayers the blessings of God, the Compassionate, if we in turn will not practice elementary compassion towards our fellow creatures."
—Mahatma Gandhi  (this includes animals)
                                                                                    "You will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occassion." 2 Cor. 9:11

by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2009 at 6:33 PM

Breastfeeding limits you to the minipill...there are plenty of variations out there. Nothing with estrogen.

I did NOT do pills because I forget them. If I ever need a pill to save my life I'll be dead in a week. **grin**

chillinmommy
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 6:47 PM

i do impanon it good for bf and works wonder for me it is for 3 years thou

amandah1287
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 7:44 PM

im on the depo shot and i love it so far i have to go get my second round of it at the end of the month...

StaceysMom4706
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 7:47 PM

i'm on the mini-pill... progesterone only.  i'm not a fan of hormonal forms of birth control, but i also get ovarian cysts, so hormones are the only way to go... i've only been on it a week, but so far so good.

Alexandria 

babycowart
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 8:02 PM

i'm on a mini-pill, can't remember the name right now but i've been on it almost 5 months now and it's been fine. my supply is good, plus no periods bouncing

Amy614
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 8:25 PM

Implanon... I had this too, and had no troubles with it affecting supply.  It is a progestin only implant that is inserted under the skin of your upper arm.  The device is about the size of a toothpick.  It is good for up to 3 years, and can be removed early if you choose to TTC your next child before 3 years is up.  I would recommend it, but definately do your own research on it to see if it is right for you.

Here is a link to wikipedia.com, with some info about the Implanon rod:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Implanon

Quoting chillinmommy:

i do impanon it good for bf and works wonder for me it is for 3 years thou

umamar
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM

I got the copper IUD and I hate it. It works but my periods are harder than ever. I had the depo shot and it was too much weight gain. I tried the pill and that just didn't work LOL I would rather do a spermicide but then again I got 3 and ain't havin any more LOL

nannersue
by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 10:24 PM

I tried the pill, but kept forgetting to take them. So, I'm on the Depo shot now. i've had 3 shots, so far, and my milk supply hasn't been affected. My doctor said it's safe for breastfeeding. I haven't gained any weight, and I still have not had a period either. 

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)