Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Beastfeeding adopted baby?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:26 PM
  • 3 Replies

Hi everyone. We'll be adopting when I'm done with college and settled permanently back home and hubby has a job.  We're going to adopt a baby and a 2 year old.  I was thinking of breastfeeding my adopted baby but don't want to take drugs or shots to make myself lactate.  I have never been pregnant either (currently dealing with infertility) and want my adopted child to have the advantages of breastfeeding that I never had because I was born premature and then put into fostercare for a while.  Is there any natural way I could make myself lactate so I could give my baby the type of bonding experience you are supposed to get when you breastfeed?  Thank you.

Visit our family page at http://www.freewebs.com/muslimfamily

by on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:29 PM

There aren't any shots anyway. And Reglan is pretty nasty stuff for a lot of women.

You can read the increasing supply sticky...every NATURAL remedy is there. And as I recall there's an article on kellymom.com that will help too.

chairhead28
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:34 PM

I'm sure you could find info on www.llli.org or www.kellymom.com. I know that you need to use a SNS (supplementening nursing system) and put either donated breast milk or formula in it and put baby to breast constantly so your body will get the supply and demand it needs. I'm not 100% sure, but, you'd need to use Reglan or Domperidone (I don't think I spelled that correctly...but you need to get it shipped from Canada, it's not avaliable in the USA) to increase lactation. Domperidone is better than Reglan because it doesn't have the side effects like Reglan does (depression...I needed to take Reglan to increase my supply because my DD was losing a lot of weight). You may not want to use medication..but that may be your only way. Maybe talking to an IBCLC (internationally board certified lactation consultant) or LC (lactation consultant) would help you a lot too. Get a lot of support from them and from your family. That is a beautiful thing you will be doing for your child! :) If you cannot lactate for your adopted baby, you could possibly get just donated milk so your baby would have the wonderful benefits of breast milk.

I really hope this was useful and you can lactate to give your baby the best....and it's SO wonderful that you're adopting beautiful children! Congrats on your new family!!!!

I'm Kristina. I'm a married (to my high school sweetheart, Bobby), breastfeeding (and child-led weaning), semi co-sleeping, baby wearing, ERF, solid delaying, vegetarian (for over 16 years), semi-CIO, vaccinating, disposable diapering, gentle disciplining, full-time college student, House MD loving, anorexia, self-injury and sexually abuse recovering, Fibromyalgia suffering SAHM to a handsome boy (Daniel Matthew 5.5.07) and my darling little boobie monster (Ryleigh Madison 9.13.08).

People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available.  ~Chele Marmet

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 3, 2009 at 11:35 PM

Here is the article mentioned in the other post.  Good luck! : )   http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN